Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two:

Marinette held up her hands, though they obviously trembled. She and Nathanael refused to look behind them and, instead, kept their gaze locked on each other.

"Please," Fox stated to the person behind them, "don't hurt us. We can leave and find somewhere else to take shelter."

The person laughed. "You really think I would let my two biggest competitors off that easily, without any fight whatsoever?"

So, it was a Charm, not like Marinette hadn't have guessed earlier.

"We'll leave," Ladybug encouraged. "We don't want to cause you any trouble."

"Oh, but you already have." It was a girl's voice, judging by how it was. "You kicked my boyfriend out of the running."

The Charm made her way around them, a sword clutched in one hand and a knife in the other. Though it was dark, Marinette recognized her. It was Mylene, the Wolf Charm. Marinette had talked to her before the games had started and, to be honest, hadn't even thought about her. She had forgotten she was part of the competition, it wasn't like she was looking for trouble.

"We're sorry about that," Ladybug said, her tone soft with apology. "It was a bloodbath and we really didn't have a choice. He-"

"It's all your fault!" Wolf cut her off. "He would still be here if it wasn't for you!"

"Mylene," Fox said, his hands lowering slowly, "we're sorry for your loss, but you'll see him again after the games. He isn't dead."

"We were going to win together!" She jabbed her sword toward him and Fox shot his hands back up. "We were going to the win the games as a couple - as a team! We planned on meeting up later on in the games, and I sat here, in this cave, waiting for him. When he never showed up, I knew our plan had turned for the worst. We were going to survive this and split the prize!"

"How would you split the prize? Wouldn't that mean that you would marry Adrien and your boyfriend would get the job?" Ladybug asked.

Wolf shook her head. "No, we would press for the prize to be split, as in, we each get a high paying job."

"But only one person that's allowed to make it out of the arena is the winner," Nathanael corrected. "There wouldn't be anything that you-"

"I don't care!" Mylene pressed the tip of the sword underneath his chin. "I am going to win this thing for the both of us, and no one is going to stop me!" She surged forward to snatch the pin off of Fox's jacket, but Ladybug stepped in. She pushed Mylene away and stood in front of her partner.

"If you're going to take his pin, you're going to have to go through me."

Wolf cracked a smile, but there wasn't any kindness or happiness behind it. It was dark, malicious, maybe even murderous.

"I had heard stories about you two," she said smugly. "I heard that you were an inseparable team and almost impossible to beat, however," Mylene tightened her grip on her sword and knife, "that isn't going to stop me from kicking you out of the games."

Outside the cave, lightning flashed and thunder rumbled. In that moment of silence, Wolf attacked. She swung her blade, but Ladybug kicked up her leg and hit her wrist. The sword barely missed grazing Marinette's cheek.

"Get back!" she shouted at Fox. He took a step back as Ladybug ducked another swing from Mylene. Due to the enclosed cave, it was hard to dodge her weapons and protect Fox at the same time. Ladybug glanced over Wolf's shoulder at the stormy entrance. She needed to get outside. Behind her, Nathanael tried to find some way he could get around the fight without getting hurt. They were cornered and Mylene would soon overtake them if they didn't get out into the open.