Chapter 4: Homecoming

Stiles has been cramped in the hospital for three days and was ready to leave. He didn't like hospitals. He hadn't seen much of anyone since yesterday and he didn't know how he was going to get home since his dad was at work. He dressed himself and Melissa gave him a prescription for his depression. He probably wasn't going to take it. He washed his face and left the bathroom. It was dark in the room so, when he ran into someone he jumped back and almost fell. The person caught and steadied him.
"What the hell!" Stiles yelled at Derek. "Are you trying to get me admitted again? Jesus! Why are you even here?" Derek rolled his eyes.
"Someone has to take you home," he said. "Unless you want to stay. I'll leave." He turned swiftly and started out the door.
"No. Wait!" Stiles yelped and caught up to him. He followed Derek to the car. "Why are you being so nice?"
"Because... You almost died. Tomorrow. I will not be," Derek replied pulling out of the parking lot. "Why does it matter to you?"
"Because... I like it. Not so Sourwolf," Stiles smiled. He hadn't smiled for real in a while. "Besides, I'm not in the mood for your petty love games."
"Petty love games?" Derek asked raising an eyebrow.
"Yeah. Pretend you actually like me then be an asshole," Stiles explained.
"Right... Well. I don't like you," Derek said. "I just tolerate you, because you keep my pack alive."
"Right.... You know what... Fuck you," Stiles said.
"You would wouldn't you?" Derek asked smirking.
"W-what?" Stiles stuttered blushing. "Who said that?"
"No one," Derek laughed. "But, that was funny... Anyways. I was joking. Stiles you're a friend."
"Oh," Stiles said. "Good."
They turned onto a different street. "This isn't the right street... Derek. If I'm such a friend you should know where my house is."
"I know, Stiles," Derek mumbled. Stiles looked at him confused.
The pack has been plan a party all day for Stiles. No one told him anything. Derek was in charge of him getting there. They were all waiting at Derek's place. Scott even made it there.
"This is your house," Stiles groaned. "Why are we here?"
"Shut up and come on," Derek said pulling him out of the car. "Or do I have to carry you?" Stiles shrugged. Derek brought Stiles upstairs where the pack had set up everything.
"Welcome back Stiles!" They all yelled. Lydia smiled proudly at her work. Stiles fell against Derek in surprise.
"You did this?" Stiles asked Lydia.
"Yeah," she said smiling. He pulled her into a hug. She was surprised but hugged back. "They all helped. Even Aiden and Jackson."
"I'm not hugging them," Stiles mumbled. She laughed. "Thank you."
"Yeah," she said pulling away. "We have all of your favorite things here. You know... Music. Curly Fries. Burgers. You know all of the food of the Stilinski inhibitor. We have some drinks that parents do not approve of. Some how we got whatever this is."
"That is a box of Doctor Who, Star Wars, Anime, comic TV shows, and Marvel Movies. It also includes collectible figures, actual comics, merchandise, and my prize possession... My Free! Poster and Cup. A signed poster of each.... Never mind," Stiles trailed off after everyone stared at him. "Um... Who? Who got this out of my room?"
"I did," Scott said coming from the back. "I'm still your best friend. I know what you like and you love them."
"Yeah," Stiles said. Neither of them were willing to apologize for anything. But, they wanted to talk. "Thanks..."
"You two should talk," Lydia said pushing everyone outside. They left an awkward vibe there. Scott shifted from one foot to the other.
"So..." Stiles said.
"Yeah..." Scott nodded. "Look... I am sorry. I didn't want to hurt you."
"Yeah. Well," Stiles trailed off after he seen Scott's puppy brown eyes. "I can't stay mad at you with those eyes. And, I'm sorry to. I was a sick at the hospital."
"You had every right to be," Scott said.
"No," Stiles said.
"Just hug so we can come back in," Erica said from behind the door. Stiles smirked a little and they hugged. The door was open and the pack had came back into the room. Scott let go and they took a step away. Erica hugged him next. She almost crushed his ribs when she squeezed him tightly.
"Okay... You can let me go. I'm not going anywhere," he coughed. She laughed and let him fall back. She handed him a drink.
"Drink. It's my gift to you," Erica said. "Now chug. Get drunk."
"I probably shouldn't. You know with all of the drugs the hospital put in me," Stiles went on.
"We have that covered. We asked Melissa," Isaac smirked. Stiles nodded then took the drink. It burned his throat and chest. He sputtered a bit making Jackson laugh. Lydia hit his arm making him glare.
"So dweeb," Jackson said. "What do you plan on doing this weekend?"
"Living life to the fullest," Stiles said with a bit of sarcasm. "Living in my dark bedroom and thinking of how fucked up this is. And, wallowing in my own self pity. You?"
"Same," Jackson said. They stared at each other for a moment. No facial expression or heart stutter. Everyone was freaking out. Jackson gave one of his smirks and Stiles followed. They both let out a small laugh and Stiles patted Jackson's shoulder. Lydia narrowed her eye at the two.
Stiles had three and a half drinks in the last hour. He felt great. Better than great. More people showed up. And, he danced around with Isaac and Erica.
Derek sat on the stairs watching the party. He was a little disappointed. Stiles was supposed to have fun, but not so much fun that he would be dancing with other people. He frowned and continued watching.
"Whatcha doing sitting up here all alone at a party like this?" A kid asked.
"I'm the provider. Not the partier," Derek said he only showed his annoyance in his voice.
"Woah... Calm down. Just trying to make conversation. Are you watching us then?" The boy asked. He pointed at Stiles. "What's his name? Kyle? Dial? Vile? Whoever he is. Didn't he try to kill himself? I think it's kinda pathetic. Taking the easy way out. Lydia told us that this party was for a friend who was going through a rough time."
"His name is Stiles. And, you know what. I don't think it's pathetic. I think he went through enough and wanted to take his life after hearing too much shit from people like you. And, he didn't want to hurt his friends anymore. Why are you even here?" Derek growled. The kid looked confused.
"I'm a friend of Lyd's. Why are you defending him? From what I hear you don't like him. You guys fight all the time," The kid said.
"I'm not defending him... I was saying, why are you standing here? Talking to me?" Derek asked glaring at the boy.
"Oh. I just seen a pretty face," the boy said. "Whoever you're watching is a lucky boy or girl." Derek glared at the boy and made him back off.
"Hey... Derek," Stiles said watching the boy walk off with a weird face. "Why are you sitting alone?"
"I don't party," Derek replied.
"I'm sure you do," Stiles said back. "You just forgot how to." Derek rose an eyebrow. "You're always busy being angry you forgot how to have a good time. You're not the only one in the world who has done this. You just have to remember that there are other things to think about."
"Since when do you get to spout about having a good time and thinking about other things?" Derek chuckled to himself. "You just left the hospital."
"I'm also drunk and having a relatively good time," Stiles said.
"Relatively?" Derek asked.
"No matter what I do... There's still that voice," Stiles looked out the window. "The voice still is there. And, I'm afraid that it won't leave."
"The voice," Derek said. He didn't say it as a question. It was just a statement.
"Yeah. This is just mellow," Stiles said. Derek could smell worry on him. "What do I do?"
"What is it that you said? Think of better things? Take your own advice," Derek said. "Things get better. Trust me."
"Oh yeah... I'll be just like you," Stiles joked. "Sourwolf."
"Nice to see you have your humor back," Derek said.
"I'm hilarious, I know," Stiles laughed at himself. "Does it get better? Did it get better for you?"
"For a while," Derek started. "It wasn't. I thought it wouldn't ever get better. When I first came back and Laura died, I thought it was only going to get worse. Of course there are times where everything went wrong. But, it did get better. I have a pack. They all are okay. Annoying, but okay. Life got better. There are always going to be bad times. You're just a teenager. You're going through teenage depression."
"You may be sour... But, you talk and act like a good guy. Devil in disguise are you?" Stiles asked.
"I am," Derek said. Stiles laughed.
"Everyone has been giving me looks," Stiles said. "It's kinda disapproving."
"Why does it matter what looks you get?" Derek asked. "There just looks. Looks that go away."
"Do they?" Stiles asked. He wasn't asking Derek anymore.
"Not for you," Voice said. "Not for someone as disgusting and pitiful as you." Stiles swallowed back his emotions and shook his head. "Not for someone who has no one. Who can't even talk to anyone at this party."
"You're wrong."
"What?" Stiles jumped forgetting Derek was there.
"What?"
"You said something," Derek pointed out. Stiles shook his head. "Stiles... Melissa told me to keep an eye on you. And, to make sure you're taking your medication. So, you're gonna see a whole lot of me. You can tell me."
"I don't need a babysitter," Stiles mumbled. "Why you? You don't even like me."
"Stiles, if it wasn't for me, you would still be in that hospital. Or in eichen," Derek said. "You would be on watch constantly. I knew you didn't need that. So, try to be a bit appreciating to what you got instead of what you could have got."
"You're wise upon your years aren't you? I mean you have been throwing life lessons at me since you talked to me in the hospital," Stiles wondered. "You might wanna be careful. You're showing your caring side. People might get to use to it. Besides, wouldn't it be better if I was in Eichen? You wouldn't have to take care of me and worry about me. Maybe I'm so crazy they would put me in a chair. I'm sure they have that somewhere in that hell hole."
"Why are you so caught up on the idea that we don't want to worry about you or you bother us? Who even told you that?" Isaac asked coming up the stairs.
"That doesn't matter," Stiles replied. "It's true though. Right? That the pack would be better off if they didn't have to worry about me. I mean... I carry a baseball bat."
"That baseball bat saved your fathers life. And, Melissa's, Chris', Allison, and my own," Isaac pointed out.
"But, it doesn't actually help," Stiles said. "Does it?"
"No," Derek said.
"Do I contribute to the pack other than causing problems with Scott. Helping Peter. Or helping with a plan?" Stiles asked.
"You help Peter. You do cause problems for Scott," Derek started. Stiles felt his chest sink in a little. Derek seen his face fall. "But, without you... We wouldn't know what to do. How to get into places. Where to look for things. You're the detective. You would make a great police officer. We definitely wouldn't have your knowledge on cases and what is happening at the sheriff station."
Stiles had nothing to say. Partially, because he didn't want to admit Derek was right. He also never thought that Derek of all people would confess that they needed him. The voice had stopped when Derek started. That confused him. Whenever Derek would start talking to Stiles the voice would stop as if it was listening. But, only for Derek. Maybe it was because Derek was an alpha and to Stiles that was scary and a little intimidating. Or being an alpha Derek can have that affect.
After the party and everyone left, Stiles had fallen onto Derek's couch in exhaustion. He hadn't had good sleep for a while and the hospital wore him down with the medications. The party had tired him out even more. Lydia was laid on Allison's leg where Allison had her head on Scott's shoulder and they were on the floor. Jackson was on the other side of the couch and Aiden and Ethan were sprawled on the floor across. Erica was laying on Aiden's shoulder.
"What are you doing tomorrow?" Scott asked.
"I don't know," Stiles shrugged. "I'm not supposed to go back to school for a few weeks. That leaves me with two weeks for finals and other work. Derek is also supposed to 'keep an eye' on me. So ask him."
"Why?"
"Because, he's a flight risk. I am in charge of him," Derek said. "I don't know what we are going to do."
"How did you manage to get that job?" Danny laughed.
"No one else was there," Derek said. Stiles looked at his hands.
"He's just busy," Stiles said. Scott nodded in agreement. "I should go see him tomorrow."
"Fine. I'm going to bed. Don't ruin my house. Stiles you can sleep in the other room since you'll be here for a while," Derek said. Isaac went off to his room showing Stiles where the extra room was. Erica found her way to the couch and the others stayed on the ground.