04

screaming. all kodie heard was screaming before she took off in the direction of the sound with octavia and bellamy right behind her. kodie froze at the sight of atom's body laying almost lifeless on the ground.

    "oh my god," octavia gasps, rushing over to the boy.

    the rest of the boys caught up and bellamy ordered everyone to go back to camp. "octavia and kodie, you guys go back too."

    kodie scoffs, "as if."

    octavia shakes her head, letting her fingers run through atom's hair. bellamy grabs his sister's arm. "octavia, go." octavia wipes the tears from her eyes before heading back to camp.

    "kill me." atom spoke faintly as it was hard to breathe and his body was blistered. the acid fog definitely did a number on him and as he laid there, barely conscious, his only wish was to die.

    bellamy glances over at kodie and charlotte steps forward, handing the blade kodie had given her to the boy. "don't be afraid." charlotte spoke before heading back off to camp along with the rest of them.

    the look on bellamy's face made kodie furrow her eyebrows. this guy was all talk and no action, but in a way that warmed kodie's heart. he wasn't a cruel coldblooded killer and he cared for his people too much.

    "bellamy," kodie spoke quietly, gripping the knife in his hand. he released it and gave her a small nod as she took it from him and tilted atom's head, gently pushing the knife into his neck to end his misery. "i'm sorry." she whispers as she brushed atom's hair away from his face. "yu gonplei ste odon." you could barely hear her unless your ear was literally to her mouth.

    "thank you." bellamy spoke quietly, not questioning what she had said. "i—" he shakes his head. "i wouldn't have been able to do that."

    "it's okay." she takes a deep breath. "it happens a lot."

    he furrows her eyebrow at the statement, but doesn't ask questions as clarke and finn appear. "oh my god," clarke's eyes widen as she kneels down in front of atom.

    "we need to get him back to camp to bury him." bellamy spoke in a monotone.

    finn, clarke, and kodie helped make a stretcher while bellamy remained next to atom's lifeless body, just staring at his friend. once the stretcher was made and atom's body was on it bellamy took off his jacket and draped it over atom's face so it didn't have to be seen. finn and bellamy carried the back of the stretcher while the girl's carried the front and once they made it to camp, and placed it down, clarke immediately rushed to aid jasper. finn was hot on her heels and as octavia came out of the drop ship with a frown on her face, seeing atom's covered face she knelt down, lifting the jacket to look at him one last time before she wandered off, not accepting any sorrow from her brother.

× × ×

    kodie did not decline whatsoever when finn offered her the bottle of whiskey that him, clarke, and wells had found in an abandoned car that they took shelter in during the fog. kodie's hand was almost completely back to normal, but she let clarke rewrap it so it was neater.

    clarke was outside talking to wells while he dug up atom's grave. finn, kodie, monty, and octavia sat on the third floor of the drop ship with the alcohol, each taking turns drinking it.

    "it's nice to actually see your face now." octavia laughs lightly as she glanced over at kodie.

    kodie had finally washed the mud off of her face and her skin felt so much lighter. "thanks."

    "hey, uh, can i get some of that?" a new voice spoke as finn went to drink the whiskey again.

    "jasper!" octavia jumps up, rushing over to the boy with monty and finn right behind her.

    "how about we try the soft stuff first, yeah?" finn laughs, holding a cup of water to the boy's lips as he sat up a bit.

    monty smiles, "welcome back, buddy."

    once jasper finished taking a drink he lays back down. "was that a dream or did i get speared?"

    clarke walks up the ladder with a smile. "you'll have a very impressive scar to prove it."

    "my saviour!" jasper smiles.

    "i wasn't the only one that saved you." clarke smiled, gesturing over to kodie. "kodie was a big help."

    "oh," jasper smiles tiredly. "thank you, stranger. i may not have been completely conscious, but i did hear stuff and i heard your little backstory. you sound cool."

    "thanks." kodie chuckles, patting his foot.

    "thank you," clarke says, grabbing jasper's hand. "for not dying. i don't think i could've taken that today."

    jasper nods, "i'll try not to die tomorrow too, if that's cool." he glances over at octavia and smiles again. "oh, hello."

× × ×

    kodie sat at a fire alone with a cup of moonshine that monty had offered. finn was off with clarke, monty was in the drop ship with jasper, wells was on guard outside the wall, octavia was playing 'beer pong' with some others, and bellamy was doing who knows what. there were other fires aflame that people were sitting at, but kodie didn't feel like dealing with crowds at the moment.

    as she sipped her drink she admired the smiles that were visible on people's faces. they were talking and laughing, jumping and running around. they were happy and a small smile was on the girl's lips as she watched everyone and she wished she had people like this when she had first come to the ground. though lincoln was kind and caring, she didn't have time to run around and have fun. he was always straight to the point and a strict teacher.

    "grounder princess." kodie looks up to see murphy standing next to where she sat with a smirk on his lips.

    "trash prince." kodie retorts

    murphy scoffs, sitting next to her on the log. "trash prince? really?"

    "well, if i'm a princess i need a prince, right?" she smiles. "plus, it'd feel complimented if someone called me trash."

    the boy laughs, shaking his head lightly. "alright, i won't even question it anymore."

    the smile remains on kodie's face as she looks back at the fire. "so what can i do for my prince?"

    "just wanted to talk." he shrugs. "you looked bored."

    "kinda." she shrugs. "but i don't mind."

    "i get it." he nods. "you like being alone," he eyes her. "but sometimes it's nice being surrounded by other people."

    'what?" she smirks. "people like yourself?"

    "of course." he says cockily. "want to go to my tent and talk?" he asks before holding his hands up in surrender. "i promise i won't pull anything on you unless you want me to."

    "smooth." she laughs, rising from the log. "alright, let's go talk."