13

"my friends, this is a historic unity day. every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. next year, on the ground." jaha's uninteresting speech was being said through the small tv that raven set up for everyone to watch.

    "right," miller scoffs. "after we did all the work."

    a delinquent groans, "someone shut him up."

    raven decided to do it. "you shut up, miller. no one's forcing you to watch."

    miller simply rolled his eyes at the girl and turned his attention back to the tv. jaha's was still speaking, "for ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to earth."

    kodie was sat on a log a bit away from the screen. she couldn't see jaha on it, but she didn't care. she didn't want to see his face anyway. her head perked up when jasper cheered, coming out of him and monty's tent.

    "monty strikes again!" he shouts, holding up a large container. "call this batch 'unity juice'! who's thirsty?" everyone starts to rush over to him, holding out their cups for a bit of moonshine.

    kodie looked down at her cup, moving around the bit of water she had left in it. she was extremely thirsty and moonshine wasn't going to settle with her right now. she felt a little sick.

    "to our sons and daughters on earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. the first exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. help is on the way." kodie's stomach twisted at jaha's words. sixty hours.

    "hey stranger, haven't seen you in awhile." raven smiles, approaching kodie.

    "hey." kodie huffs. "what's up?"

    "you look bored. wanna help me make some bullets?" she gives the blue eyed girl a cheesy smile and kodie rolls her eyes, holding her hands out for raven to help her stand. raven helped the lighter brunette get to her tent and let her sit in the chair, saying she had no problem standing.

    the two sat in silence and made bullets for awhile before finn walked in. "making bullets on unity day."

    raven responds, "the grounders don't know it's unity day."

    finn glances over at kodie and the girl simply shrugs before returning to her bullet. "how did bellamy get you guys to help?"

    "i volunteered." raven states. "we have to be ready to fight, right?"

    finn raises an eyebrow at kodie and she shrugs. "i was bored."

    "i mean," finn shrugs. "we could try talking to them."

    raven simply stares at him, "they seem to prefer stabbing." finn quickly looks away from bringing his attention back to his girlfriend. "violence is the only thing those people seem to understand."

    finn shakes his head, "you know, they could say the same thing about us. if we keep going on this way we'll never stop digging graves."

    kodie wouldn't say it out loud, but she agreed with finn.

    raven watches her boyfriend as he picked up a row of bullets. "you didn't see him, finn. it didn't matter what we did to him. he was ready to let you die."

    finn glances over at kodie before looking back at raven. "he was protecting himself."

    raven shakes her head, "why are you defending him?"