17

fourteen were dead, but everyone kept working and was on high alert. kodie had been asked by octavia and clarke who the mountain men were, but she didn't want to talk about it. she didn't know much anyway; just that they were bad news. lincoln had told her they were dangerous and never to be trusted.

it has been two days since the bridge exploded and so far they were okay. no grounders had attacked and the mountain men hadn't made an appearance. jasper and monty were grateful enough to allow kodie to stay in their tent since she didn't want to be near bellamy. everything about that boy annoyed her. she was supposed to be annoying him, so why was his presence annoying her? she didn't even know. he was just stupid and never had a good idea, which annoyed her, i guess.

"you fucking idiot!" kodie heard the familiar voice of murphy shout, so she rushed out of her current tent. murphy was shoving a boy and the small hut the camp had created for their food was up in flames.

"put it out!" kodie shouted since people were just standing there, staring. she reached for the nearest bucket and filled it with water before tossing it at the fire. the sizzling sound made her jump, but that didn't stop her from getting more water and throwing it on the flames.

"we told you to stop adding wood!" octavia shouted at the same boy murphy was pushing. "we have no food now, you idiot."

"now we need to go hunting." bellamy shakes his head. "each group takes someone with a gun and they're for killing grounders, not food. we don't have the ammo. use the spears for hunting. get what you can. be back by nightfall. no one stays out after dark."

clarke and finn looked at each other before heading off to get the weapons needed. some kid kodie knew was named myles followed behind the two, eager to be part of their group.

"want to stay here and help me with bullets?" raven asks as she stands next to kodie.

"i'm surprised you're not going with finn." kodie glances over at her.

raven purses her lips and shakes her head. "i broke up with him. he's all clarke's now."

kodie's eyes widen. "oh my g–are you okay?"

"i'm fine." she gives me a small smile. "he loves her. i prefer someone that loves me back."

"i'm so sorry." kodie frowns.

raven smiles wider. "don't worry about it. i got you still, right?" she drapes an arm over kodie's shoulder and the lighter brunette nods with a smile.

"always."

miller jogged over and smiled. "sorry to break up whatever this is, but i need to steal kodie."

"why?" raven asked for kodie.

"murphy's coming with me to hunt and clarke kind of made it an order that kodie went because she knows murphy well." miller shrugs.

"it's fine." raven shakes her head. "jasper should be back with more gun powder soon, so he can help me. you should get going."

kodie followed miller to a foxhole where murphy was already standing and murphy gave her a smile before holding the gun out to her. "i don't need the gun. i can handle grounders without it. give it to miller." miller took the gun and kodie grabbed the other spear that murphy held and the three headed out. murphy walked a bit ahead and kodie grabbed miller's arm, catching his attention. "where's bellamy in all this mess? should he be your hunting buddy?"

"he's staying back to keep an eye on things incase the grounders attack camp." he answers.

"nice." she nods once. "alright, let's get some food." as the three hunted murphy kept making jokes which caused the other two to laugh.

"so what happened to your eye?" murphy asks after a bit of walking. "the bruise might be faded, but i can still see it."

"it's a long story." she mumbles. "i really don't feel like talking about it."

"got it." murphy chuckles. "you still look cute, don't worry."

"okay then." miller clears his throat. "hold up, i think i see a boar."

kodie followed his gaze and gave him a small nod. "yeah, that's one. let's get it."

"i got it." murphy waved us off and went after it.

"are you and murphy—"

"nope." kodie cut miller off before he could finish his sentence.

"alright." he clicks his tongue. "oh, wow. he wasn't kidding." kodie turned her attention to see murphy carrying the dead boar in his arms.

"let's get back before bellamy has my head." murphy says.

"you guys go ahead." kodie says. "i'll catch up."

"what're you doing? we can wait." miller says.

"i have to pee. just go." she waves them off. once they were out of sight kodie let out the breath she was holding and looked at her surroundings. she looked up at the tree and sighed as nyko sat up there with a bow and arrow in his hand. "so why didn't you hit us?"

he didn't answer as he hops down from the branch. "a majority of the woods are empty right now. people were injured because of the explosion."

"we didn't have a choice." kodie tried to reason. "we're not going to die just because you want the ground."

"we aren't going to die just because you want the ground either." he retorts.

"we were trying to make peace." kodie urges. "your people were going to kill us anyway, so we fired first."

"your people tortured lincoln. i thought he was your friend?" he scoffs.

"i helped him get out!" kodie shouts in frustration. "and you tortured murphy." she shakes her head. "i'm fucking switzerland, okay? but if it's a war that's about to happen i will protect myself and i'm still a sky person."

"you need to get back to camp. it's dark." he states.

kodie rolls her eyes and looks around at the dark sky, "really? i never noticed."

"stop with the stupid sarcastic remarks and get back before i do kill you."

the brunette clenched her jaw and shook her head. "you wouldn't."

"try me." he challenged.

kodie knew she couldn't take nyko. nyko was a giant compared to her. "fine," she surrendered, holding her hands up. "i'm going back."

"good luck." he yells after her. "if you survive this i look forward to seeing you again."

"yeah," kodie spoke sarcastically. "the feeling isn't mutual."