chapter nine

You were in the dark. Again.
However, this time it was different. You could hear a slight ringing in your ears, and the edges of your vision seemed darker than the rest. If pitch black could be darker, then that would be the color.

You felt a bit dazed and frightened, but, for once in your life, you were grateful for your dark surroundings. You preferred it so much more than the bloody corpses of your friends.

A white dot appeared in the center of the blackness, gradually growing brighter and brighter and forcing you to squeeze your eyes shut to avoid being blinded.

When you could tell the light had faded, you slowly opened your eyes.
You could see a white wall in front of you. Confusion flowed through your being. Why was there a wall here, in your mind? It made no sense to you.

A small, quiet noise came from behind you. You tensed and whipped around, arm half-raised like you were ready to fight someone.
On the floor, a woman was sitting on her knees, hands covering her face. You could hear her sobbing quietly, but what made chills go up your spine was the fact that her sobs were wild and crazy, but you had to strain to hear them.

When you determined the woman was no threat to you for now, you relaxed your stance slightly and forced your breathing back to its normal pace. A quick look around the small space you were in allowed you to gather information about where you were.

The ... Whatever you would call it, had no doors, so exiting was ruled out. You thought perhaps you could imagine yourself out (after all, this is your mind), but you just got yourself a burst of pain from an explosion of static inside of your mind. You clutched at your head, vision shaking as you gritted your teeth.

After a few moments, the pain had faded enough for you to look back up. You could see the light of the room coming from the ceiling, where there seemed to bright ceiling lights all around. Your eyes began to burn just staring at them like that, so you quickly lowered your eyes.

A brown table that you had not noticed before lay on the other side of the room, causing you to jump in alarm. You quickly calmed down after seeing the familiar lifeless object, along with two items on top of it. You cautiously approached the table, making sure to remain silent. You didn't want that woman to notice you; after all, grief can make people do very, very stupid things.

When you got close enough, your recognized the items to be knives. You could see a message carved into the wood as well, causing you to pale a bit as you took a deep breath and stood up.

The carving was directly between the knives, like it was purposely arranged like that. You felt a chill go down your spine. You had never dreamt like this before in your life, with such exact detail and perfection.
In the same scratchy handwriting as the two notes you has gotten before, and above the same symbol, it read:

ALWAYS WATCHING

You felt the hair on the back of your neck begin to rise at that thought. The thought of someone constantly watching you, and you having no idea when or how or why.
You slowly picked up the two blades, looking at them. They were smaller than a standard kitchen knife, but you could tell they were much, much sharper. You noticed you could flip the blade into the handle, like a pocket knife. Yet, you wouldn't really describe it as that...

As you stared at the weapons down in your hands, your vision began to blur again. You blinked and looked up at the woman, seeing her still hunched over and sobbing louder now. She seemed to be in a lot of pain... Maybe you should fix that.

You could hear raspy whispers inside of your head, telling you do it do it you don't know her it won't hurt you it'll be quick and painless you need to get rid of her before she knows you're here you have to kill her get rid of her get rid of her NOW

You quickly shook your head, hissing under your breath. "Nonononono...!" You were not going to kill an innocent person. You were not like that. You had morals; if you killed her, it would only be because you had no other choice.

You swallowed down the saliva in your mouth, throat dry. You flipped both of the blades into their black handles and shoved them into your back pockets.
You took a quiet step forward, heart beginning to pound out of your chest.
"Hello?" You asked cautiously, and the woman's sobs immediately went silent. You could feel goosebumps begin to arise all over your skin; something here was not right. You took a few more steps forward, and more, and more, until the woman whipped around. You felt like you wanted to vomit at the sight of her face.

All over it, fresh cuts were visible, causing blood to be dripping down her face. Her cheeks appeared to have been hacked in to, as there were holes in the flesh through which you could see her bloodstained teeth and gums. Her eyes were pitch black and had red irises that looked like they came from your worst nightmare.

The woman seemed to smile as she saw you with her, before she lunged at you with a wild scream.