Cason

I woke up to a dull ringing sound next to my ear. It was my phone. I looked at the caller ID; it read Brooke. I would've changed her name in my phone, but I definitely didn't want her to take my phone and see something else as her contact. It'd be embarrassing.

I wonder what my name is in her phone? I thought to myself. I shook my head, discarding the thought. I unlocked my phone and answered the call.

"Hello?" I heard some scuffling sounds in the background, but no answer. I heard a scream, Brooke. "Brooke!" I yelled. "Brooke, what's going on?"

I hopped out of bed and threw on some sweatpants and a shirt. I held the phone in my eat as I struggled to put on my shoes. I heard a thudding sound, like someone being forced to the ground. I heard signs of struggling, then one last scream from Brooke before everything went silent. I almost opened my door, but the silence stopped me in my tracks.

"Brooke? Brooke, are you okay?"

No response.

"Brooke? Brooke, hold on, I'm coming!"

I ran down the stairs and straight out of the door, hopping into my car. I drove so fast that if any policemen were out, I would've gotten about ten speeding tickets just from this one trip.

I arrived at Brooke's house and barged through her unlocked front door and into the living room.

"Brooke?" I gasped, seeing her passed out on the ground, her dad standing over her.

I walked up to him and punched him in the face, sending him flying backwards into the wall. I picked up Brooke and started walking out of the house. A hand jerked me back, almost making me drop Brooke.

"Why are you in my house?! Are you the wretched boy who is with my slut of a daughter? What do you see in her, huh? Does she pleasure you; is that it? What, are you just another fu^kboy?"

With every word he said, I got angrier and angrier. Setting Brooke down carefully in front of the door, I turned to her dad just in time to see a fist flying straight towards my face. I sucked at the last second and kicked Brooke's dad in the knee. He stumbled, so I punched him in his gut and kicked his legs out from under him.

"You son of a bi^ch! This is for Brooke!" One last punch and he passed out.

I turned around swiftly and grabbed Brooke, running out of the house to my car. I set her in the car carefully, strapping her in. I ran to my side of the car and started it, driving to the only place I knew she'd be safe.

*

Brooke stirred when we reached our destination. I'd been carrying bridal style when she suddenly asked, "What's going on?"

I sighed and said, "You pocket dialed me. I found you unconscious."

Her face contained so much emotion, and it pained me to see her this way. She opened her mouth to speak, not saying what I expected. "Where are we?"

I guess she didn't want to talk about what happened. "We," I said, putting her on my back. "are gonna sit in this treehouse." I climbed into the treehouse, Brooke still on my back. I had so many memories with this treehouse. I found myself opening my mouth. "My dad and I built it when I was seven." Why did I tell her that? I guess it's just the safe feeling I get with her. I trust she won't tell anyone.

She smiled and said, "Y'all did a good job."

"Thanks. Here," I said, tossing her a water bottle. I continued telling her more about myself so she could get her mind off of her dad. "My dad handled the electrical part, so I don't know how we made it to have a minifridge. I think there's a generator around here somewhere," I said, chuckling.