Cason

I thought Brooke's surprise party would go well but I wasn't expecting Brooke to tell me that she liked me. I mean, I just never thought she would. I thought we'd remain friends and she'd eventually find someone good for her so that she wouldn't need me anymore. Huh. I guess Aunt Quinn was right then. I guess it's just married couples intuition or something. This had to be the best day of my life. Well, the second best day. Nothing can surpass the day Aiden was born. I'm not ashamed to say that he comes before everything. I am very protective of him and I think Brooke respects that.

Speaking of Brooke....

I looked down at her still sleeping figure and smiled. She was finally my girlfriend. We've been through so much together and have grown so much. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to grow with her. This is definitely not how I saw our relationship going, but hey at least I'm not in the friend zone anymore.

I felt like running around the world yelling like I was a goofy goober or something. I wanted to swoop Brooke into my arms and swing her around, then pull her into a passionate kiss to show my love for her. Yes, I said love. I am not afraid to say I love Brooke. She may not feel the same way, but even if she never loves me, I will always love her.

It was going to be hard to take things slow since I now know that she likes me, but I want her to know I'm genuine. I'm not like Jason. A small tickle of hair on my chin made me break from my thoughts. Brooke was looking up at me, a small, happy smile on her face.

I smiled and whispered, "Good morning."

Her smile deepened and she wrapped her arms around me.

I immediately wrapped my arms around her, tightening my grip to deepen the hug.

She pulled away slightly and said, "We're going to have to tell your family. How should we do it? I mean; I feel like they are expecting it anyway."

Probably. I thought. I shrugged and kissed her nose. I looked her in the eyes and shared my thoughts. "I think they will all just know. I think there is a glow or something when people get into a relationship. Besides, you and I both know my mom can see through everything."

She smiled and shook her head. "I know that's right." She detangled herself from me and walked into her bathroom. I took that as my cue to leave. I stood up and walked to my room, getting ready for the day ahead of us.

**

We were all sitting at the table eating breakfast--Aiden, Brooke, and I--when my mother burst into the room holding some mail in her hands. She rushed over to me and thrust an envelope under my nose. When I just stared at it, she rolled her eyes and thrust it into my hands.

I reluctantly took it and thought, What is this? I shouldn't be receiving any mail- it's not a holiday...

My eyes widened in realization and I tore the envelope open. I took out the letter and read through it six times, disbelieving of what it said.

"Cason? Cason, what's wrong?" I heard Brooke ask.

I couldn't answer; I was still in shock. Aiden came over to my seat and peered over my shoulder to read the letter, but I barely registered the fact that he was there.

A sudden hug from behind and Aiden jumping into my lap yelling, "YOU GOT IN!!" broke me from my sudden shock.

Brooke finally understood what was going on because she grinned and pulled me into a hug as well. We were all in a group hug and everything was great, but I couldn't help but frown. I was trapped inside of my thoughts, and none of them were good. I can't believe Brooke and I are going to be off to college soon. It's not fair! She only just started liking me and we're going off to different colleges. Each of our semesters starts in August.

She's off to Carnegie Mellon in Philadelphia and I'm off to the University of California, Berkeley. She's off to study in their MFA Fine Arts program while I'm off to study Bioengineering. We're really lucky to have been accepted, our college's acceptance rates are very low and I'm happy for us, but still! Our colleges are like thirty-eight to forty-two hours apart. When they pulled apart from our group hug, I plastered on a fake smile as they said congrats.

**

I had told my boss that I wouldn't be working today because I wanted a day off, but I decided to go in anyway because I needed to collect my thoughts. No way was I going to be able to do that if I was near Brooke all day. I manned the cash register, greeting people as they ordered. I smiled when I noticed a regular. She always wore a beanie with every outfit and always carried around her minion backpack. I smiled as she walked up to the counter.

"What would you like today Flapjack?"

Don't ask me, that's the name she wanted put on her coffee cup last time.

She raised her head and pulled off her beanie, stuffing it into her minion backpack.

I gasped in recognition. "Janet?"

She chuckled at my expression and waved me off with her hand. "The one and only."

My eyes widened in surprise. She was the regular that came in every Monday through Thursday at this same time with her minion backpack? "What- what are you doing here?" I finally managed to choke out.

She playfully rolled her eyes and stared at her nails. "What Dave, a lady can't come and get her daily dose of coffee? By the way, today I am Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy."

Dave? I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

She sighed and shook her head at me. "I am very disappointed Dave. I told you I'd give you a minion name. Do you prefer Kevin? You look like a Kevin. Kevin it is. Your girlfriend, Brooke, will be Bob."

My eyes widened and I whisper-yelled, "How do you know we're dating?"

She smirked and said, "I didn't. But you just told me. I figured something was up since Bob came to the studio looking happier than a little kid who was given a balloon animal." She scratched her chin in thought. "Although, kids are baby goats so I should've said child..."

With that, she threw some money on the table and waltzed out of the café.

What the heck? She didn't even order anything! I stared at the spot she had been standing for a moment, then shook my head. What a strange woman. I picked up the money and started to put it in the tip jar when a piece of paper fell from the bundle and onto the floor.

It said: By the way Dave- Kevin, Bob needs you to meet her at my studio. Come now. As in, right after you read this note. She said it's a surprise and believe me, it is. I know you have nothing to do right now since your shift ended so stop avoiding your girlfriend and come to my studio!

I re-read the letter three times. All I could think was: how did she know my shift just ended? I shook my head and packed up my stuff, waving to my coworkers and boss as I left the café. I went to the parking lot and hopped into my car, driving off towards Ms. Janet's studio.