Cason

I laid on my bed and thought about everything that happened this past week. I knew Brooke was lying about nothing being wrong and it'd been bugging me for days. She hadn't even eaten anything since we left the hospital! I even offered to feed her and she just chuckled, waving me off.

I heard a ping sound and realized it was my phone. It was Dylan; he'd sent me a text.

Dylan- it okay if I come over? I've wanted to check up on you guys and see if you were okay. I would've asked sooner but... I wasn't sure if I should. I know you're not a reckless driver so if you want to talk about it, I'm game. Just... let me know you guys are okay, all right? You scared me half to death!

I had a full blown smile on my face by the time I finished reading his text. I shook my head, chuckling softly to myself. No matter what happens, I know Dylan will stay by my side and be my best friend. I sent him a quick text back.

Me- How's tomorrow? I'm taking Brooke to the art museum I told you about so she can get her award from the famous art lady. After, I'm throwing a party for Brooke and we're going job hunting. 

A few seconds later, I got another text from Dylan- Oh dude I'm so glad you texted back! I was worried sick! :( Of course I'll come to support Brooke! I thought you already had a job though...

I texted him back, explaining myself better- I meant job hunting for Brooke. It's great that you'll come! It's at five o'clock tomorrow at the art museum. The party will be right after I guess.

A second later, my phone pinged again. Dylan- All right, I'll be there.

I put my phone down on my bed and sighed. I had to try and get Brooke to eat something. I put on some sweatpants and walked out of my room to Brooke's.

I slowly opened the door and stepped into the room. Brooke was curled up into a ball, snoring softly. I smiled. She was so cute when she's asleep. I walked over to her bed and poked her side. She didn't stir, just grunted in her sleep. I poked her again, this time on her stomach. She didn't open her eyes, but her hand shot out and grabbed mine, pushing it away.

I stifled a chuckle and bent down to her level. I leaned over to her ear and whispered, "Brooke, wake up."

Her eyes shot open and she shot up from her spot, staring at me, with a bewildered expression.

I let out a small chuckle and said, "Good, you're awake."

She just looked at me, something glinting in her eyes. I shook my head. I probably imagined it. The covers had fallen off her body when she sat up, so I got a good look at her body. She was wearing a Looney Tunes pajama shirt with Tweety Bird and Sylvester the cat on it. Her pants had the roadrunner and Wile. E Coyote on it.

I smiled and whispered, "Come on, we're going to eat dinner."

She shook her head slowly, as if breaking from a trance. She shook her head again. She cleared her throat and frowned. "No, Cason, I'm not hungry."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why wouldn't she eat? I crossed my arms and said, "Brooke, you have to eat something! Please?"  I gave her my best puppy dog eyes, hoping for her sake that they'd work. They worked.

She sighed and stood up from the bed and stretched the best she could with her left arm still in its cast. I looked at her face, just now noticing the tear streaks in her cheeks. My eyes widened.

"Brooke!" I exclaimed.

She jumped and turned to look at me. "What?"

I uncrossed my arms and walked closer to her. I walked until I was right in front of her. I brought up a hand to her cheek and sighed. "Why were you crying?"