Brooke Pt. 1

It was two days later since the best day of my life. Cason was working today, so I was on my own. Which wasn't so bad—it left me to think. There were a lot of things I needed to think about. I was really starting to like Cason, but I was afraid to drag him down.

He'd already seen me beaten up because of my dad, sure, but what would he think when I got sick? Or if my dad came at me again? Would he still think I was worth the trouble? He'd be crazy to think so. I definitely wasn't worth the trouble.

My phone beeped and it was Jason. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Jason and I hadn't spoken since he did what he did to me. I was glad it was only a text message so I didn't have to hear his voice.

Jason- babe y haven't I seen u since our night??

I didn't reply. Then Dylan text.

Dylan- hey Jason said y'all had fun. What's up?

I couldn't tell anyone about Jason. No one would believe me since I'd branded myself the school slut at the mere age of twelve. I wanted Jason to disappear from my life.

Dylan- did I do something?

Me- No, you didn't.

Dylan- so what is it?

Me- I don't wanna talk about it. Please just drop it.

Dylan- okay, sorry. See you in school Monday.

It really threw me off that Jason was the one to be "that guy." Jason had stayed very quiet when he met me, but I guess looks were deceiving. At least Dylan knew what the word "no" meant. I decided to go to Cason's house. I wanted to make peace with his mom, Jill.

I knocked on the door and little Aiden opened it up.

"Brooke!" He smiled.

"Hey, little man," I smiled back. "Where's your mom?"

"Right here. Aiden, go to your room," she said.

"But—"

"Now," she said sternly and he went to his room. She turned to me and waited for me to speak.

"I know you don't like me. I get why. I'm not my biggest fan myself. But I'm not gonna hurt Cason," I said.

"Look," she sighed. "I don't know your life. And if I did, I would probably feel differently about you. You were a big help when my mom was sick, so I appreciate that. But that doesn't change the fact that you dress like you think you fit into these clothes."

"I get it," I said. "The truth of it is, I don't have any money. I don't have a job. I don't have transportation to get to a job. I haven't gone shopping in about three years. All I want is for you not to hate me."

"I don't hate you, Brooke. I think you need to cover yourself more, but I don't hate you. I also think you need morals," she said. "I'm sorry you never met your mom. Having a mom around is important in a girl's life. Hasn't your dad taught you anything though?"

I looked down. "Not really."

Jill stood there silent for a while. "So I was right. You weren't raised right."

I nodded. "You're right."

She drummed her fingers on the doorframe and looked at me. She finally let me inside and shut the door. "Cason seems to really care about you, so I'll try and make this work. All we need is communication."

I nodded.

"Instead of staying in the treehouse, you can stay here in our guest room," she said.