4 | Confessions & Kisses

Ryan waited for Emma to walk through the patio door ahead of him, before kissing his mom goodbye and following the feisty brunette through the house. Emma was just clipping the leash on Layla in the front hall when he appeared behind her.

"I can go by myself," she said in a slightly defiant tone.

"Nah." He grinned, winking cockily for good measure, "Can't let you two helpless ladies walk around after dark."

"I am not helpless," Emma retorted indignantly.

Ryan saw her getting ready to dig in her heels, and quickly threw his hands up in surrender, chuckling to himself.

"Settle down, Em, I'm just kidding; I need to stretch my legs. It's been awhile since I've had a stroll through the old neighborhood... and I wanted to thank you for spending so much time with Ma," he added. He held his breath, hoping she'd accept his apology. It appeared she did, as she nodded, opening the screen door, letting Layla through, and not putting up a fuss when he followed them out.

Emma took a deep breath. Don't let him get under your skin, she took a deep, calming breath, you can handle this, half an hour at most, then safe back home...

They walked the first five minutes in total silence. It wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but it wasn't an easy silence, either. It was as if both of them wanted to say something, but neither one knew what to say. Finally, Ryan broke the tension.

"I really do want to thank you for helping Ma out." His voice was warm and rich and quiet in the evening air, without a hint of the arrogance it normally held. It made Emma think of fine-grain sandpaper rasping over rich, dark wood. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye and nodded.

"I don't mind," she returned quietly, "I don't think I would have made it through losing my grandma if it weren't for her—" Her voice cracked, and Ryan couldn't tell because of the dimming light, but he suspected the tears from earlier had made a reappearance.

Dumbass, you made her cry! He stopped and turned toward her, touching her arm lightly.

"I'm sorry... again." He smiled wryly, this apologizing was becoming a habit. "Are you okay?"

Emma wanted to choke back the tears and pretend everything was fine. She certainly didn't want to cry in front of him. She might have even made it if he hadn't stopped and looked at her with those intensely probing eyes of his. Even in the blue haze of twilight, she could see them; warm and kind and slightly hesitant, scrutinizing her face. Almost as if he didn't know what to do, but he was trying.

Two huge tears rolled down her cheeks and she couldn't stop them. She was standing in front of a man she barely knew anymore, in the middle of the sidewalk, bawling her eyes out. Furious with herself, she tried to stop, Pull yourself together, woman. You're making a complete fool of yourself. Surprisingly, her inner voice's attempt at a 'pep talk' did not work, and more tears began to fall.

Ryan shifted nervously, staring down at her, completely unsure of what to do. But then her shoulders shook with a huge sob and he reached for her. He couldn't have stopped himself if he tried. They were near the park, and he gently led her to a bench just inside the wrought iron gate at the entrance. Taking Layla's leash, he wrapped it around the leg of the bench, and the old dog began sniffing around happily in the shrubs while he turned back to Emma and pulled her into a tight hug.

Shock ran through Emma. She had almost expected him to run away or make a stupid joke. Yet, while she had been in the midst of berating herself, she suddenly found herself wrapped in warm, strong arms, and pressed against a very impressive chest. Her tears had slowed to a trickle now, and she wiped her nose on the sleeve of her sweatshirt again, shifting uncomfortably.