13 | Starry Night Confessions

By the time Emma re-entered the kitchen, Ryan was almost done cleaning up, so she climbed onto a stool at the counter, and leaned forward, resting her chin on her crossed arms. They were quiet for several minutes, in the way of two people who have the same thing on their mind, but neither want to talk about it.

Her eyes followed him around the room, and was struck by how he was so relaxed and at ease, while simultaneously, using an economy of movement. The longer she watched him, though, she began to notice little things that belied the relaxed state he initially exuded. Things that reminded her of an agitated cougar flicking the tip of its tail. He seemed at ease, but there was an almost imperceptible tension under the surface.

Lost in his own thoughts, he seemed oblivious to the way she was staring at him, so she didn't try to hide it. At least until he placed a cup of coffee in front of her, and she sat up, realizing she'd been caught gawking at him like lovesick puppy.

"What's on your mind, little girl?"

Emma almost snapped at him reflexively, but then her expression softened, accepting the term of endearment.

"Your mom." She exhaled a shaky breath. "She's been so adamant that she's fine the last few months, but more and more lately, I can see that she isn't."

"I know," he replied gravely. He ran a shaky hand through his hair. "Emma... I don't know what I'm going to do without her." He crossed his arms in front of his chest, gripping his coffee cup in a tight fist.

He was oblivious to the hazel eyes studying him, lost in thought. Even though it hadn't been fully realized yet, Emma recognized his grief, and out of nowhere, she had the urge to go to him, and wipe the distressed look off of his handsome face. It just wasn't right for him to look so downcast when he was normally so fun-loving. Without thinking, she slid from the stool, and was around the counter. Gently, she pried the cup from his hands, and slid her arms around his waist, resting her cheek against his breastbone.

"I'm so sorry, Ry."

He was so surprised at her willing show of affection, that for a moment his arms just hovered in mid-air, and then suddenly, they were banded around her, fitting her body comfortably against his. Dropping his head, he buried his face in her hair, breathing in her scent. She smelled of sunshine and wildflowers and the spicy sweet scent of cedars. She filled him up, bringing his aching heart some solace.

At first, he became so lost in her that he didn't notice her fingers lightly brushing over his cheeks. Realization that his face was wet, seeped into his consciousness. For a moment, confusion clouded his eyes, and then it dawned on him that it was actually tears blurring his vision. Emma was gazing up at him with large hazel eyes full of worry, and her lips were moving like she was saying something. It took a moment for the words to reach his ears, and another before they made sense.

"Ry, Ryan, are you okay? Ryan?"

In response, his body was wracked by a broken, strangled sounding sob, and then he was clutching her so tightly that the breath whooshed out of her body. His huge frame bowed over as if in agony, all of the muscles in his back taut, popping with the effort he was making to contain the anguish sweeping through him.

Rather than pushing him away, Emma entwined her arms around his neck, and his hold tightened even further. Before she could react, he gripped her hips pushing her onto the counter. Stepping closer, he nestled himself between her thighs so that they were pressed together very intimately. Her body went rigid, but then slowly relaxed when he hid his face in her neck, and felt his tears soaking her hair. Her hands came up, and she ran her fingers through the silky strands of his hair, murmuring soothingly to him.