31 | Gone

WARNING: CHAPTER 32 IS PRIVATE

~*~*~

Evan groaned inwardly as he turned toward his friend. The house had emptied out, and now there was no one left from the service except the two of them.

"How in the hell do I always end up in the middle of everyone else's messes?" he asked, more to himself than Ryan.

"I'm sorry, bro," Ryan replied, regretfully, "I wouldn't ask if I didn't need to."

"You know that she isn't going to be happy when she finds out," Evan pointed out.

"Yeah, I know. I just need some time."

"You should tell her yourself, Ryan."

"I can't do that," he replied stubbornly.

"I won't lie to her for you. She's going to think you abandoned her, and she's lost enough people. I won't let her worry like that," Evan challenged.

Ryan slumped into a chair, defeated and older-looking than his thirty-one years. "I don't know what else to do, Ev. I can't talk to her right now. Not after today."

"Yeah, about that. What happened?" Evan probed. He'd already asked this question, but Ryan wouldn't even look him in the eye.

"Nothing," Ryan retorted, evasively. "I just need to get my head straight."

Evan leaned back against the wall, gazing out the window, "Damn women, man. Can't ever get your head straight with them around."

Ryan laughed, a little surprised that he was able to find anything humorous today. "You got that right."

"Some women are worth it, though," he went on, looking at him sideways.

"Yeah," Ryan agreed, "but I need some time before I can deal with her. Will you at least let me go before you tell her? I'll take off early in the morning, just give me until tomorrow afternoon."

Evan sighed heavily, "Yeah, okay, bro. What do you want me to tell her? Do you know when you'll come back?"

"I don't know."

"She's going to want to know."

"Yeah, well she's a pain in the ass."

"She should be your pain in the ass. I've got my own shit to deal with," Evan retorted.

"I don't know when I'll be back, but I will come back. Just tell her you don't know."

Evan snorted, "Cause she'll be satisfied with that."

"She'll have to be," Ryan's voice hardened. "I'm no good to her right now, she knows that."

"If you say so." Evan shrugged, dropping the subject. "You need anything else?"

"Nah, I need to sleep." Ryan yawned, "Thanks for everything today."

"No problem. Text me when you get there tomorrow, then I'll talk to her." He headed for the door, opening it. Before he left, he turned, and regarded Ryan thoughtfully, "Whatever happened, she will forgive you, you know. She gets real mad, but she always forgives the people she loves, Ryan." Then, he strode out the door without waiting for a response.

Ryan sat there, stunned for a moment. "Wait, what do you mean 'people she loves?'" he hollered after Evan. But Evan was already down the sidewalk, and wasn't looking back. Cursing, Ryan looked around. He wouldn't have minded having something to do to take his mind off of things, but Emma had taken care of all the details. Everything was spotless, and now the house was cold, empty, and sterile.