19 | Half-Truths & Lies

Emma lay back against the pillows and closed her eyes. She was struggling to bring her breathing back under control, and heat was radiating from her core like molten magma. Every inch of her skin was overly sensitized, and the more sensitive parts of her anatomy throbbed with a deep ache every time her heart beat. It was still slamming against her breastbone with the force of a jackhammer.

The only thing that kept her from dragging Ryan back on top of her was the importance of the call. He left the room when he answered. No doubt, for privacy, as much as to bring his own body back under the rule of his brain, rather than the fairly impressive tool he possessed between his legs. She sighed—they were that close. Regardless of his "no sex" rule, just a few minutes longer, and she was sure that wicked tongue of his, would have been doing astonishingly wicked things to her, in exceedingly wicked ways.

Ryan finally came back into the bedroom, cutting her musings short. She pushed herself up on her elbows, meeting his eyes with a questioning look. Her breath caught for a moment, fearing bad news, but then he gave her a small smile.

"She's okay." He answered the unspoken question. "They just wanted to call and let me know she's being discharged in about an hour. Apparently, she was up at the crack of dawn, as usual, raising hell to get out of there. I think she might have scared the nurses," he chuckled.

"I can just imagine," Emma snorted, "Mama Bear on the rampage."

"Unfortunately," he sent her a regretful look, "that means I need to leave soon." He crossed the rest of the distance, sitting on the edge of the bed. Slowly he grazed a finger along her bottom lip, causing her breathing to quicken. She nipped at his fingertip, and her eyes darkened to a smoky brass hue.

"You better stop that, Cameron. Or you will have to explain to your mother why you're late picking her up," Emma warned with a slight tremor.

"You're right." He grinned, but the look on his face said he was weighing the pros and cons. "Will you come with me?"

"Yeah, of course." She sat up and planted a kiss on his lips. "Give me twenty minutes to shower and change... you can join me if you like." She grinned cheekily, and swung her legs over the side of the bed. Rising, she started towards the door. Not quickly enough, because Ryan grabbed her, pulling her so that she was standing between his thighs. He captured her mouth in a punishing kiss, biting her lower lip as he drew back.

"When you can finally say those three little words," he rasped, "the first time will not be a quickie in the shower. So, don't tempt me, you evil little imp." He swatted her ass, and spun her around so she was facing the door again. "Go shower before I forget the importance of my own rule."

Emma yelped and laughed, as she scurried out the door. His tone said teasing, but the look in his eyes was dangerous and hungry, and sent a shuddering thrill through her. One thing is for sure, she sighed, I am definitely going to need a little longer in the shower this morning!

~*~*~

Greta lay in the hospital bed, fully dressed, huffing and stewing impatiently.

Where is that kid?

She had barely slept and was determined to get out of this infernal bed as soon as possible. The longer she stayed, the worse she felt. The pain shooting through her body was enough to make her grit her teeth, and she tried to quell the growing sense of urgency inside of her. She had things to do, and the longer she waited, the less time she'd have to do them. She was afraid, too. Really afraid. Afraid that if she stayed in this place too long, her health would decline so much that they wouldn't let her go home. Then, she would spend the rest of her miserable days in, what had to be, the most uncomfortable bed in existence.