What Couldn't Be Brought Back

~One Week Later~

Alphonse's POV:

Everything feels unreal at this point. I don't want this to be real.

Edward gave up his ability to transmute in order to bring me back. I had to leave her behind. And from what I could see? (Y/N) seemed to be in the process of being judged by Truth. 

I shakily got up from the bed, still in the intensive care wing of the hospital. It felt so weird. Whilst I am beyond grateful to have my body... it feels wrong. It feels like an empty victory. Empty without my lover to share it with me. 

Walking slowly and weakly with my still very weak body, I went out into the hallway, but where I should have been greeted by my brother or a nurse of some sort, the hallway seemed barren. There was a lot of commotion going on down the hall, however, which was confusing. After all the injuries that took place a week ago, the hospital was quiet as a blissful peace seemed to slip over the nation, even if only for a temporary bit of time.

As quickly as my bony legs could take me, I ran (more speed walked really) down the hall and to the room where the shouting was coming from.

Edward looked pale, and there were plenty of nurses swarmed around him.

"BROTHER?!" I shouted with a hoarse voice. What had happened to Edward? How did he get hurt? Why did he look so pale?

Edward looked up at me, but instead of saying anything, he gave me a grim smile, half made up of sorrow and half of happiness. The nurses parted as Edward murmured something softly to them. In his arms, he held a girl. The nurses were't focused on Edward, but rather the girl.

(Y/N).

I was too excited and relieved to worry about how the hell he had managed to get her back, or if it was the work of someone else. I rushed forward to hug (Y/N) when Edward put a hand on my shoulder to stop me. I frowned with a soft sound of confusion.

"She won't remember you. She doesn't remember anyone or anything."