second ; why we fall apart

"And this is your," he paused to look down at his clipboard and sighed. "Fourth new roommate this semester?" I nodded, bored.

This is my fourth roommate, I know the protocol, I want to sass.

"You'll be sharing with Alex Mathis." I nodded again, not bothering to waste my breath answering.

"This is your last warning, Grace. For the sake of the admin here, please just try and get along with her." Yeah yeah. That's what they say every time.

"I'll leave you to it. Have a nice day." Then he left. I don't remember his name though I'm pretty sure I should. Whatever.

I stayed standing outside of the dorm and exhaled slowly. I guess I should get it over with.

I readjusted the strap of my backpack over one shoulder and pushed the door open. It looked like all the standard dorm rooms, with two beds, two desks with shelves, and a bathroom door to the side, only this one had walls plastered with band posters. It was kinda cool. I recognized most of them.

Someone stepped out of the bathroom and froze, looking at me. I stared back.

"I'm sorry, I think I've walked into the wrong dorm, I'm Alex Mathis' new roommate but obviously this isn't the right..." I looked away. He was shirtless, wearing just sweatpants and frozen still with a toothbrush dangling from his mouth.

"I'm Alex." He wiped the toothpaste residue on his mouth.

My eyebrows raised.

"But I'm a girl." I said.

"Duly noted." He sounded apathetic.

"And you're a guy." He just looked bored now.

"I'm absolutely sure I am."

I dragged my black, stickered suitcase in from the hall and plopped onto the plain bed.

"Well then, I guess we're roommates."

He was unamused.

"Sure. Whatever you say." Alex retreated into the bathroom and I scowled. So much for a first impression.

Rolling my my eyes, I began to unpack. Great, just what I needed. Someone as pissy and grumpy as me. I don't think we'll last the week.

See, the problem with me as a roommate isn't that I'm kind of weird. I'm just really annoying in general. I ask stupid questions and go in and out at odd hours. I'm reckless, noisy, and full of attitude and energy. On the other side of the coin, I'm moody, angry, belligerent, pessimistic, unable to hold back sarcastic comments, and lazy. 

There's never an in between. I don't get a cozy gray area. I can't feel calm and settled. I'm either riding a sky high roller coaster to nowhere or taking a plummet out of the cart.

My phone never blows up with notifications. So I'm surprised when it happens now. 

Brandon. 

I block his number.