twelfth ; why we fall apart

"Hey."

"Hi."

"Hello?"

My eyes flickered up after feeling someone tap my shoulder. Some guy is standing next to me, obviously not getting that I'm preoccupied by the way he persistently and annoyingly smiles.

"Hm?" I make an inquisitive noise with a bored expression.

"I was just saying hi. About three or three hundred times." He's still here. And he's smiling?

"Okay?" I went back to my book.

"So I was thinking, you and me-"

"No." I said blandly. Does this guy not get a hint? Who is he?

"But-"

"Nope."

"Girlie-"

I slammed my book shut. Hallway guy? I stood up.

"Okay, look. I'm going to ask you to leave you alone." I paused. "Leave me alone. And you're going to do so. Alright?"

The same smirk from that afternoon found its way onto his face.

"Sure. Whatever you say."

I rolled my eyes, muttering profanities about whatever his name is.

He leaves and so do I, and as I'm going back to my room, I hear quiet sobbing through the door. I decided to leave Alex alone to deal with his demons.

It's an unspoken rule. We don't like to interfere.

I go to my rooftop spot and just sit, my book long abandoned by now.

I think.

About actions and consequences; about morality and immorality; about why the world is so messed up, like us, and why we fall apart so easily.