fifth ; why we fall apart

Brittany Costello had a mental breakdown in the hall yesterday. A campus supervisor in a golf cart carried her away with assistance from two on-campus medics. Her friends consoled each other before following it to the infirmary.

I stood nearby and watched the whole scene unfold. She just snapped. Out of nowhere. She started screaming at her friends. They tried to calm her down. It didn't work. She burst into tears and started shaking.

"I didn't peg you for the sympathetic type." His voice broke into my thoughts. I turned to see Alex leaned against the building, nodding his head towards the scene. "You've got that look on your face. Like, oh poor girl. I feel so sorry for her."

I only scoffed.

"We've been roommates for two weeks. I thought that you would've figured it out by now."

"Yeah? What's that." He was smirking. I didn't like it.

I walked up to him, my face getting closer and closer to his until I could feel his breath. My mouth reached up to his ear and I spoke with a deadly low whisper.

"I don't have emotions. They don't exist for me. I'm stone cold. I don't care about you. I don't care about anyone. I don't care if I live or die. And I'm not afraid. Of anything."

Then I stepped back and walked away. He stood still for a moment or so and then stalked off.

You better stay away.