ninth ; why we fall apart

"Ready for the shrink meeting?" Alex smirked at me from his desk. I shrugged, towel drying my hair from my shower. My runs had gone later and later, so I usually made it back when he was awake.

"Do you think you're gonna pass?" A serious question this time. But I snorted.

"I'm not passing for sure." He said softly, more to himself than to anyone else.

"We'll see." I murmured quietly as I adjusted the tie around my neck.

Our new uniforms weren't hideous, but I wouldn't want to wear them daily either.

The guys had to wear black dress pants, black shoes, a long-sleeved white collared shirt, a maroon tie with the school crest on it, and a maroon blazer with the crest emblazoned on the left breast. The girls had a similar outfit, but with a black skirt and optional socks or tights instead of pants. Sexist much?

I wore my uniform with sheer black tights and my high tops. I kept my shirt untucked and tie loose, ditching the jacket.

Alex actually looked cleaned up for once. I was used to seeing him with messy hair stuffed under a beanie and wearing beat up vans with a typical skater guy outfit.

Now, his dark hair was still a mess, but he wore clothes that were, for once, clean, and not baggy.

"These blazers are disgusting. Looks like something a grandma wears to bingo night at the rec center." He muttered and I agreed.

I opened the door outside and it was raining heavily. I sighed, not wanting to bring the ugly school jacket. Instead, I grabbed my maroon hoodie and called it a day.

The school was abuzz with chatter about the new system. Girls who refused to wear the new uniforms were sent to the office and then to their dorms to change.

I was almost caught with my hoodie, but luckily escaped before they caught sight of me.

Sighing heavily, I ducked into an empty corridor, head down, snapping my rubber band as I went.

I liked taking the long way to my classes to avoid any unnecessary human interaction.

Thud.

So much for avoiding unnecessary human interaction.

"Woah there, girlie. Watch where you're going." The person I walked into grabbed my shoulders, holding me at arm's length.

I scoffed and pushed his hands off me.

"It's Grace."

"I know." He walked away backwards, his hands held up, a smirk on his face.

I turned on my heels and left before he could speak again.