Chapter Four

When I got home, Evgeni wasn't there. I didn't think anything of it. I assumed he was at practise or had a game or something. When I was back home, I watched all his games. Now that I am in Pittsburgh, I try not to. I don't want to think of him as a superstar. I don't want to look at him the way Rochel does. He is Evgeni Malkin, my childhood friend, not a Penguin superstar. I know that he is actually both, but they feel liek conflicting ideas. I can only think of him as one. When Geno still wasn't home at nine o' clock, I tried calling his cell phone. He didn't answer. I didn't know what else to do, so I called Mama Malkin.

"Natlia? It's Kira."

"Kira! How are you? Do you love Pittsburgh yet?"

"No, not really. I actually was just calling to see if you know where Evgeni is. Usually he comes home by now."

"He has a game in Washington! And then one tomorrow against Vancouver. Did you forget?"

"No, he didn't tell me." I thought back to the morning on the stairs. Was have a good day his way of telling me see you Saturday?

"He must have forgotten."

"No, he didn't tell me on purpose! What a jerk!"

"Are you sure? Why would he do that?" Natalia made a massive effort not to snap at me, I could tell. She had always been protective of her children and me calling Geno a jerk was like calling her a bad mother.

"Because, I told him not to leave me anymore. Pittsburgh fucking sucks alone, Natalia. " I sighed. Only two sleeps until he's back, I told myself.

"You like him!" I could hear the grin in her voice. Was she proud?

"Natalia, that's not what this is about. I don't know anyone here. When he goes away, I am alone the entire time. This sucks!" I found my voice getting louder. I didn't mean to yell at her, but I felt betrayed. Why wouldn't he tell me? "I just don't understand why he didn't tell me he was leaving. I know he has to play in the away games. He still should have told me!"

"You're right, Kira. Maybe you should just take a bath. He will be back before you know it."

"I'm not even allowed to take a goddamn bath when he isn't home. I'm going to bed, I will call you tomorrow." I felt drained.

"Okay, Kira. I love you, things will look better tomorrow. Call me when you get home from work."

"Good night, Mama Malkin." I hung up the phone, stomped up the stairs and then because it felt good, I stomped down them and back up again. I slammed my door twice. I threw myself on my bed, and sighed.

"Mama? Why are you home?" Geno said into the phone, knowing it would be morning in Russia; Mama Malkin should be at work.

"Kira called me an hour ago."

"Fuck."

"Evgeni! You better be careful. I could get on a plane right now and wash your mouth out in fifteen hours!"

"Oh, Mama. What did she say?"

"Why didn't you tell her you were going away?" Natalia sounded reproachful. Geno sighed.

"I didn't want her to get upset before work. She told me not to leave her again. There isn't anything I can do, Mama. You have to understand that."

"You still should have told her, but I know you have to play."

"At least we won," Evgeni said, trying to look on the bright side.