Chapter Five

I woke up and felt entirely warm and comfortable. I didn't want to move for a year, at least. I blinked open my eyes and realized I was snuggled into Evgeni's chest, his arm around me. The blankets still seperated us but our bodies were pressed very close. He was still asleep. I watched his face for a minute, listened to his deep breathing. Things were so peaceful like this. I briefly imagined if Geno loved me and slept with me every night. I snuggled in closer to his chest and gave him the softest kiss on his neck. I closed my eyes and began to drift away with imaginings of Geno and I. By the time he stirred, I was almost back asleep. He moved and I curled in closer to him. When his eyes blinked open and he realized where he was, he sat up as fast as he could. I mumbled something incoherent and blinked the sleep away from my eyes.

"Oh my god, Kira, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to stay, I must have fallen asleep. I promise it will never happen again. I can't believe this. I'm sorry,  I..." he spoke quickly. I flopped onto my back with a sigh.

"Shut up, it's too early for your insanity," I said, covering my eyes with my arm. He chuckled a little but got up. I peeked to see him going into the bathroom. I took three deep breaths, trying to breath away my feelings for him and the sorrow that had settled in my chest since the moment he sat up. I had felt cared for and safe. Now I was like a raw cut, exposed to the wind. When he came back, I was sitting up in the bed. I had crossed my legs but left them under the blanket. I traced the pattern on the comforter.

"What is the matter?" he asked.

"Nothing." I just shrugged. I hadn't been expecting him to notice. He came around the bed and sat in front of me.

"Kira, I've known you since the day you were born. Don't try and lie to me. You think I can't tell when something is wrong with you?"

"You haven't seen me in like, ten million years. You don't know anything about me. I'm fine." His expression changed to hurt. I looked at him, his sad eyes and messy bed head made me feel like crying.

"Kira," he whispered my name. I knew that I hurt him and I hated myself for saying anything.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that... I just... it's nothing, Gen. Don't worry about me, okay?"

"If it's nothing then why can't you just tell me?" He was a persistant little bastard. I sighed.

"You regret sleeping here and I liked it. This was the best morning of my life. Well, until you flipped out," I said, trying to act casual. I shrugged and put my head down. I snuck a peek up at him. His face just looked confused, and then shocked. As it slid back into confusion, I couldn't stop myself. I put one hand on the back of his head and pulled him towards me. Our lips touched and it was like a fire spreading through my body. His hands came around my back and my fingers entwined in his hair.

"Breakfast, Kira!" Taylor's voice called through the door, her fast knocks startling Geno and me apart.

"Thanks!" I called back, my voice sounded funny.

"I go, get change." Geno mumbled, getting up. I nodded. He left my room and I quickly got dressed in comfy clothes. We had to fly to NY today and I had to get through at least six chapters.

"Mama? Why did you send Kira to live with me?" Evgeni paced back and forth in his room.

"Geno! It's ten o'clock, I was in bed! You're lucky you didn't wake up your father."

"Sorry. Sorry, whatever. Just... Why did you want Kira to come to America so much?"

"Land of Oppurtunity! You know that better than anyone, Evgeni..." Natalia trailed off. She had never been a good liar.