Chapter Seven

I stood perfectly still as I waited at the gate. I watched the other people waiting. They all fidgeted in their own ways; a bearded man tapping his toes, a pregnant woman pacing, an old woman tapping her fingers on her arm. I saw Denis first and ran to him. He put his arms around me and I kissed his cheek.
"Denis, I can't believe how long it's been. I've missed you," I said. He squeezed my waist.
"I have heard endless stories from Mama. It's almost been like you're still back home... Almost." I hugged Natalia next and when I pulled away her eyes were wet.
"Oh, Natalia. Don't be such a suck. You can cry when you leave," I joked. Vladimir gave me a hug as well, without the tears.
"It's nice to know there is someone here taking care of Geno," he said.
"He takes care of me just as much as I take care of him!" I reassured Vlad. I drove them back to Evgeni's and my home. Ponchik ran to meet us, sitting down at Denis's feet and wimpering.
"I didn't know you have a dog!" he bent down, petting him and letting him lick his face.
"His name is Ponchik. He is only three months old." I opened the door, helping them bring their bags inside. Vladimir and Natalia were staying in my old room, and Denis in the basement.
"Are you hungry? Would you like some tea?" I offered.
"No, no. Thank you." Natalia declined and Vlad and Denis followed suit. I told them Evgeni should be home soon but we could go for a walk if they wanted.
"Let's just rest for now. There will be plenty of time to walk later." Vlad suggested before sitting on the couch. We began to chat away, and it felt like five minutes later Geno came in. Natalia cried for real after that hug.

Having family made Pittsburgh a lot more fun. We watched Geno's games together and we toured the city. We went shopping and we ate out. Christmas day was like being a kid again. We all were together, and for the first time I didn't feel like I was missing something. After my parents died, I felt robbed. It was unfair, my life was unfair. Now I felt blessed. As per tradition, Evgeni and Denis headed outside to play hockey. I cleaned up and started on supper. When five o'clock came around and we still hadn't seen the boys, I headed down to the outdoor rink. It wasn't far but I bundled up regardless. From down the road I could see them. It didn't look like they were playing anymore. When I got close enough, I realized they were fighting.
"You only want things I want!" Evgeni exclaimed.
"You're so full of shit, you know I've liked her since we were kids," Denis answered.
"She was in Russia with you for the past nine years. If that wasn't time enough for you,  that's not my problem!"
"The only reason you're getting so mad is you know she isn't fair game."
"No, I know she isn't a game."
"Are you kidding, everything is a game to you!"
"It takes two people to have a relationship. You're pissed 'cause she likes me better. I'm not arguing with you on Christmas, dammit. If you're jealous fine, but you don't have to try to ruin everything all the time,"
Evgeni said and began to skate away. Not pleased with this, Denis tackled Geno. They went down, Denis on top, limbs flying.
"Fine, you want to hit me, do it! Come on, Denis. Beat me up!" Geno shouted into his face. Denis punched him square in the face.
"Are you happy now?" Geno demanded as he threw Denis off of him. Denis's leg flopped with the force, his skate connecting with Geno's leg. He swore and I rushed over.
"Jesus, you guys! It's Christmas, you're brothers!" I helped Geno up and bent down. His pants were cut and blood was quickly spreading. "You're bleeding pretty bad." I tied my scarf around Evgeni's shin and he kicked his skates off. After pulling his shoes on, we began to walk arm in arm. I looked back, Denis just stood, watching us. I beckoned him to hurry up and he followed after us, leaving some distance. When we got back, Evgeni took his pants off and put on shorts. The gash was deep, and we tied a towel around his leg.
"How did this happen?" Natalia said, her voice pleading.
"You know boys." I shrugged. "I'm going to take Evgeni to the hospital. Can you take the turkey out?"

Geno ended up needing eight stitches. He signed three autographs and everyone wished us a very merry Christmas. Back home, Denis apologized.
"I never wanted to hurt you," he said.
"My black eye begs to differ," Geno muttered and went right upstairs. I squeezed Denis's arm.
"He doesn't mean that. I'll talk to him." I tried to make him feel better. When I went upstairs, Geno was sitting on our bed, his head in his hands.
"Geno," I whispered, closing the door behind me. I crouched in the ground infront of him and he put one of his hands on my neck.
"I should have beat him to a pulp. He deserved it."
"What happened to hockey? Why were you fighting?"
"He... The game... He called out, next goal get's to spend the night with Kira,"
Geno spoke and sighed at the same time. My eyebrows shot up into my head.
"He said that he had been about to propose to you when you left for America."
"There is no way that's true! He isn't insane enough to propose to someone out of the blue, is he?"
I felt shocked.
"There wasn't anything going on between you two?" Geno searched for reassurance.
"No! You know that I was dating Victor before I came to America. He cheated on me, I fled to your Mama's and stayed there until I found a way out... until I came here."
"And you and Denis didn't have anything when you were in the same house? Not even some flirting?"
"No way! Denis and I were never... would never... That's so gross, Geno,"
I said and he laughed. I watched the creases in his face vanish.
"Denis has never been able to just let me be happy."
"I'm sure it's hard for him. Come on, his little brother made it to the nhl while he is stuck in the K, and now you get to be in love and happy while he is stuck in Russia alone."
"I guess you're right."
"Cut him some slack. Let's go,"
I said. I rose onto my knees to kiss him and he pulled me onto the bed.
"We don't have to go down yet..." He said seductively.
"Geno, come on. Your family is waiting," I said, but with a smile. I kissed him all over his face and then pulled him up off the bed. He followed me downstairs and I smiled at Denis.
"Perfect timing!" Natalia called from the kitchen, "Dinner is ready!"

In the following week, Natalia and I re-did my old room to be a seperate girl space from the rest of the house. We bought a couch and new tables. We put a TV in it and made it overall a better place to go when an escape from manly-hockey land was needed. When she left, I cried more than her.
"I will think of you everytime I go in our room." I sniffed. Natalia laughed.
"I'm not dying, Kira!"
"I know. I've just missed you so much. Now you're leaving again already. Three weeks is not enough time!"
 I exclaimed. She promised they would come back soon. I gave Denis a tight hug but didn't say much. I tried to pretend none of it had happened but it was definitely different now that he claimed to be in love with me. When Geno and I arrived back at home, I climbed right into bed.
"Kira, it's only seven!" he exclaimed.
"I am sad."
"Me too. But also relieved. It was stressful having them here." Geno admitted.
"I know a good stress reliever," I said, giving him a sexy smile and climbing into his lap.