09 \ F U D G E

09 [f u d g e]

Bold is Asher Hughes.

Italisized is Charlotte Montgomery.

°°°

"Asher, stop calling me."

"We need to talk."

"I think we've talked enough."

"What do you mean?"

"I meant exactly what I said."

"Don't be like this—"

" . . ."

The line went dead.

"Oh, fudge."

°°°

"Charlotte."

". . ."

"Charlotte, come on."

"I told you to stop calling me."

"Does it look like I'm going to listen?"

"I guess not."

"We need to talk, Charlotte."

"About what? I think we've said enough. Let's just go our seperate ways and—"

"Listen to me, just for once! Can't you see? I don't want to leave you. Goddammit, I don't know why. I just keep coming back. Something's telling me not to leave you. God, I don't know what or why that something is telling me that, but I'm not going to let you go this easily."

"Why? Why me, out of all people?"

"You're special, babe. You're not like anybody else."

"How do you know?"

"Stop asking me all of these questions and just forgive me, please. I don't want to fight. I'm sorry for being angry about something I wasn't supposed to be angry about. I had no right, Charlotte, and I'm sorry. I just—I just can't afford to lose you."

"I'm sorry for what I said too. I was a bit harsh. It's just been . . . difficult, for me now. It's been hard to handle things lately."

"I understand."

"And I felt like talking to you every day distracted me from the real problems I had."

"Listen, Charlotte. It's okay if you don't want to talk to me anymore."

"Ash—"

"No. I see what you're saying. I'll just be that annoying little gnat that always bugs you, I'm not needed or wanted, I'll just go."

"That's not what I meant."

"Yes, it is. It seems like I'm the only one that wants this friendship. I'll just go."

"Ash!"

". . ."

The line went dead.

"Oh, fudge."

°°°