E P I L O U G E

E P I L O U G E

Yellow, golden sunlight peered through translucent curtains and shone onto wrinkled, white linens. Two bodies, curled up against one another, heave soft and fluttered breaths. A window was partly open, letting warm air seep into the room and the chirps of nearby birds echoed.

A woman, no longer a young teenage girl, buried her head deeper into the other body's chest, and let a soft sigh escape her lips. The man holding her tightened his grip on her waist, pulling her closer with a grumble.

The woman's baby blue eyes suddenly fluttered open, adjusting to the sunlight surrounding the room. Her gaze fell onto the man next to her, and her eyes crinkled when she smiled warmly at his sleeping figure.

She unraveled a hand from his grip, and used her index finger to poke his nose.

"Morning, sleepy head."

The man shifted his body, letting out a groan. His emerald eyes soon fluttered open, too, his vision resting on the woman before him. His gaze softened at the sight of her morning beauty, and he huskily murmured, "Morning, my beautiful wife."

The woman didn't seem to get used to the word every time he said it, feeling her stomachs doing the same somersaults it always did when he was around.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to that," she spoke her thoughts out loud with a light laugh.

He lifted his arm off of her waist to tuck a piece of tangled golden hair behind her ear. "Me either," he admitted with a grin, "but it feels nice knowing you're officially mine. Legally, too."

The woman suppressed a giggle, shaking her head at her husband. "I've always been your's," she twisted the diamond ring around her finger on her left hand, watching it sparkle in the sunlight.

Asher took a hold of the hand that contained her wedding ring, bringing it up to his lips in a feather-like kiss. She felt her heart pounding in her chest at the gesture, even after all these years she was with the man she loved.

She grabbed his hand, intertwining the hands that held the rings bonding them together for life.

"You know," she began, watching him rub the pad of his thumb along her fingers soothingly, "I would have never known that picking up the phone that day would've let to this."

His eyes widened in fear, his breath hitching in his throat. "Do you regret it?"

At this, Charlotte laughed outrageously. She threw her head back, watching his puzzled expression. She then inquired with a small grin, "Do you think I would've married you if I did?"

"Well," the man said sheepishly and flustered, "I just didn't know if it would've changed your mind if we met in a different way."

She smiled at his flushed cheeks, kissing him on the nose. She almost laughed at how ridiculous he sounded, "No. Nothing would've changed the way I feel about you. You know that, you bafoon."