[7] Exchange

I lean my body up against the railing. Letting all of my weight fall onto it. I stare off into the distance of New York City. The place I use to think was home. The place where everything went to hell. A slight breeze brushes against my face as I study the city from way up high.

I use to love this place. The memories of all that Sarah and I have done together slipping to the back of my mind. Like it never even happened. Sometimes wondering if it was even real. She was the only real family that I had before joining the Avengers.

Before Natasha came a long. Before Luke. I continue to watch the view unfold before my phone begins to ring. Reaching inside my jacket pocket, I final pull it out. Tracing my eyes over the number.

I stare at the phone a few more seconds. Debating with myself whether or not I should answer the unknown number or not. A part of me doesn't want to answer the phone, but the other part of me does. With out even thinking about it, I gently slide my finger across the screen.

Placing the phone up against my right ear before speaking. "Hello?"

Silence fills the background as a cold chilling voice fills my ear. "Eden."

I feel my throat tighten in response. My heart hammering against my ribs as I hear my fathers voice. I feel like I'm going to be sick.

"I want to make a deal with you." I squeeze my eyes shut as I listen to him carefully. "An exchange. You know what I want."

I suck in a deep breath. Feeling my blood boil with anger. I know exactly what he wants to exchange. Me for Luke.

I shake my head as I press the phone harder into my ear. Words cramming into my throat. But before I can say anything he beats me to it.

"You for Luke." His voice is calm. Like he's been doing this all his life. "Come on Eden. You and me both know how this will play out. I know you don't want anything to happen to him. And we both know Natasha will never forgive you."

I stand still. My body frozen in place. I don't even need to think about it. I already know the answer and so does he.

"Where do you want me to meet you?" I finally answer. My chest aching.

"In an hour. A block from where you are. Everybody should be a sleep by then." His voice drops low. "Do not think of pulling one over on me Eden. I'll have everybody in that house dead. Including Luke."

I feel my eyes begin to sting as I listen to his words echo in my mind. "I'll see you then."

"I'm happy we came to an agreement." I can hear is smirk through the phone. "Times ticking. I'll be waiting."

With that the phone goes dead. I grip my phone in my hand tightly, my blood scorching with anger and sadness. I release my phone into the cold metal wall, shattering it within seconds. The pieces fall to the floor. I turn around to face the outside world. The door to the patio opens up.

"Beautiful. Isn't it." Natasha whispers, her footsteps coming closer.

"Yeah," is all I reply. "It's late. I thought you were sleeping?"

I turn to look at Natasha. Her green eyes are full of sleep.

"I was," she whispers, "I just... I thought we could talk."

I feel my heart thump against my chest. "About what?"

"Us." she whispers, her hand resting on my shoulder.

Please don't do this Natasha. Is all I can think. I shake my head at her response.

"I can't," I mutter, "I can't do this."

"Eden." Her voice cracks.

"No!" I shout, turning towards her. "There will never be an us. Don't you see that?"

Natasha stands still. Frozen in time. Her eyes stinging with tears as well as mine.

"Eden,"

"There can never be an us. Don't you see that?"I reply, my voice cracking in the process.

"You don't mean that." Natasha presses, "You're just doing it to push me away because you don't want people getting hurt."

I shake my head at her answer. A laugh escaping my lips. "Everything I touch... it dies. I lost everything else I cared about. I won't lose you either."

"Why?" she answers, and my heart breaks.

"Because I don't love you." I whisper coldly, not meaning any of it. "Not like you deserve."

Tears flood Natasha's cheeks. For the second time in my life this is the only time I've seen Natasha cry. The first time was a year ago. We were on a mission. Innocent people died.

After finding a motel. Natasha let it all out. That's the night Luke was conceived.

"I'd rather have you hate me, then for me to lose you." I shout in my mind, stepping towards her. I know how selfish I'm being but I just don't care. She doesn't have to say anymore. I know she hates me.

I know that I sound like a complete prick right now. Because I have to. I know Clint will hate me too but I really don't care what he thinks. This is for the best. I love her enough to let her go. I hate myself right now too.

It hurts. It truly does. I feel like I can't breath. I stare at Natasha watching the tears travel down her check. I reach out my left hand to wipe away her tears. I need to do this so I can fight.

"Tasha," I whisper but the only response I get is the sound of her hand coming in contact with my face.

Pain radiates throughout my head as I turn to look at her. I deserve that. I watch as Natasha backs away, making her way back inside to the rest of the team. I take one last look at New York. Letting my tears finally go.

"I love you Natasha and Luke." I whisper to myself as I turn to walk inside. "This is all for you."

Vote-Comment-Etc

A/N- Don't hate me. I'll try to post as much as I can. Thank you all for your support. It truly make me happy to see you guys reading my stories. Unedited.

Dedicated to Kandii395

You guys should check out her books because they are like really good. Especially Drinking Poison- Natasha Romanoff it's so good.