Chapter One

There are three things I dislike the most about life. One being the fact that I can't eat Nutella everyday without getting fat. Two, being the skinny people who can eat Nutella everyday without getting fat and three, being stuck in ridiculous, overflowing, peak hour traffic when you have to get somewhere.

The smoothie I decided to buy on my way from work is completely finished. I've managed to chew the striped straw completely and crush the plastic cup into a million different shapes, but the traffic still hasn't moved an inch further forward.

"Come on Grandma!" I'm sure the chunky lady couldn't care less about my frustration while she stops to give way to every car trying to cross our lane. I swear she's looked back at me more than once with a dry smirk on her cracked old lips. "You have got to be joking."

At this rate, I'll never get to Lacey's school awards. I can almost see her small face begging me to hurry up. For a five year old, she's awfully good at being bossy which is trait she must get from her Mom. Arnica's been known for that personality trait since she was barely two years old, I've been at the receiving end of that bossiness for nearly fifteen years and still am today.

Sam's name appears across the screen of the car, I knew he'd be the first one to call me.

"Hi Sam."

"Hi Sam? What do you mean 'Hi Sam?' Where are you? The assembly starts in ten minutes! Do you want to explain to Arnica why you're not here yet? Because I do not feel like getting my balls cut off today and trust me, she's been threatening some very terrifying things."

"I'm coming, I'm coming" I answer quickly. "I promise I'll get there as fast as I can."

"You better, we can't have both you and Xavier being no shows."

"Xavier's not there yet?"

"No and we can't get ahold of him. Do you both purposely try to make yourselves as busy as humanly possible?" He sighs and I know he has a right to. I've been so busy with work lately I've barely seen anyone, including Xavier who seems just as stressed out as I do at the moment. Although I can't be sure, lately our conversations consist of 'goodnight' and 'have a good day.' Although sometimes it's not even that, since I go to work early and he gets home so late.

"I'm sorry, honestly I'll be there in five minutes and I'll try get ahold of Xavier, I promise I'll be there."

I end the call as quickly as possible, finally cutting in front of the old women who doesn't hesitate to pull a plump finger, or blow her overly loud car horn at me.

The echoing sound of ringing repeats throughout the car as I wait for Xavier to pick up, drumming my fingers against the wheel I pull into the schools carpark. The call keeps ringing, continuously until it reaches his short, blunt voicemail that says nothing but 'Black, leave a message.'

I don't bother leaving a message, I doubt he'd look at it anyway. Instead I grab my phone and run, in six inch heels and a tight pencil dress that could only ever be suitable during work. It's not quite as suitable for running through the hall of an assembly filled with young children and proud parents.

"Am I late?" I ask quickly, taking a hasty seat beside Sam who sits beside Tom and Arnica, beside Arnica is Noah who has a smiling Rosie on his lap. Emilie, who is now one is sitting in her pram looking as adorable as ever with her chunky cheeks and thighs.