Chapter Three

The next morning, even on a Saturday, Xavier is gone before I wake up. That's not a surprise to me anymore.

I decide I should probably go round and see Arnica and my beautiful nieces. It's a lot easier for me to go to her than for the young kids to travel all the way to our house.

Four years ago Noah and Arnica bought an incredably large, seven bedroom, two storied home down the most well known street in Calafornia. The kind with lots of families, rich housewives driving expensive cars and nosy neighbours who liked to know everything about each others business.

I couldn't think of anything worse, but Arnica fitted in perfectly.

I would hate to say how many gardeners and cleaners she has hired to keep the place as immaculate as it always looks. Let's just say she has definitly embraced the high end lifestyle Noah can provide her with.

The two large SUV's parked in the drive way are both hers. Why one person needs a Mercedes Benz and an Audi is beyond me, but she says she likes to have 'options.'

"Grace!" Arnica holds pages and pages of documents and runs towards me as soon as I open the the large front door. "You have got to help me!"

"Woah" I breathe as she forces them into my hands, her hairs a frantic mess and half out of her scruffy bun. "What's all this?"

"I really need my best friend to put her lawyer hat on for me, even on a Saturday" Arnica pouts her bottom lip. Noah's old shirt that's covered in paint is tied at her waist and the baggy shorts on her long, thin legs are just as dirty as well. "I have no idea how to  understand this smart language. It's some legal thing to do with the renovations I want to make on the house and I don't understand what any of it means."

"Mummy look! Rosie painted my face!" Lacey giggles and runs towards us as Arnica sighs, staring at the little girl who turns and waves when she sees me. Rosie follows quickly, the same giggle leaving her also painted lips.

"Seriously guys" Arnica crouches, examining their proud, grinning faces. "We're painting the walls remember? Not each other."

"Oh yeah" Lacey shrugs and picks up her little paint brush again. "Sorry Mummy, we're still doing a good job right?"

"You're doing an amazing job" Arnica smiles at them both as they stare up at her expectantly. "Auntie Gracie's here now, can you show her how awesome you girls can paint?"

"Of course!" Lacey squeals and takes Rosie's hand. "Auntie Grace you have to watch us!"

"I'll be watching" I call as they run off to the opposite side of the room, Arnica turns and the horrified look on her face makes me giggle. "What did you expect? You asked a three and five year old to help you paint your family room walls."

"I know, I thought it would be fun" she sighs, pulling a seat up for me over the curtains she's put down across the ground. "Thanks for coming. You are a true lifesaver"

"Anytime" I sit and stare around at the huge room, currently half painted with a few random stripes from the girls. "Why are you renovating again? This is a brand new house."

"I know" she answers, watching as the girls run across the room with the wet brushes against the wall. "But, there are lots of new styles coming into fashion now and you know how I like to keep up with them all." She shrugs casually. "The stupid council is having issues agreeing to letting us have the pool room built though."