Chapter Ten

Gotta love Chris Colfer (Sam)

"I don't know whether you know this, but it's currently raining" I speak into the phone as I huddle beneath the covered part of the office building a few hours later. "And you were supposed to pick me up half an hour ago, but since you haven't answered any of my calls or messages I'll just catch a cab home" I hang up afterwards. I think that's the first voicemail I've ever left Xavier where I've managed to sound annoyed. I'm proud of myself.

I can't believe he's forgotten to pick me up after the day we've already had. He could've at least checked his phone and let me know he couldn't make it.

The only positive I can take from today is the contract between my fingers - my promotion. I really can't believe Ms O'Conner's even offered it to me, but the news from this morning still sits too heavily on my heart for me to feel completely happy about it.

We'll have to tell Arnica, Sam and Noah, I just don't want to do it today. I need tonight at least to be able to talk about it without feeling as though I'll start crying again.

I feel like I'm going to cry now, I'm so overemotional and pathetic. I just can't believe Xavier's forgotten to pick me up after everything else that's happened today. Someone really didn't want me to have a good Monday.

Honking breaks me from my frustrated daydream. A new Jaguar sedan I know all too well pulls in front of oncoming traffic at more than 100 miles an hour, nearly getting hit in the process.

It doesn't slow down as it speeds through the carpark, splashing a few pedestrians in the process before coming to a screeching halt in front of me.

I run to climb into the passenger seat, not at all expecting to have a savior arrive and pick me up. I shouldn't be that surprised, Sam always turns up when I need him to.

"I'm so sorry Poppet" Sam's arms wrap around me before I can do anything else. For the first time today I allow myself to stop, wrapping my arms around Sam's slim body as well. "If your ass of a fiancé had told me earlier, instead of ten minutes ago, I would've been here this morning."

"Xavier told you?" I whisper, although I don't release my hold from around him.

"Tom told me he'd been in a horrible mood all day so I went over to see him. I had to drag it out of him, but when he finally told me I came straight here" Sam pulls back enough to see my face, he looks as though he's going to cry too. "I really am so sorry Poppet, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Xavier has been acting crazy all day. He feels terrible for forgetting to pick you up, which he should. Don't worry I thoroughly scolded him for you and then told him I would be going to get you, because he doesn't deserve to see you right now."

"It's okay" I lie, running a hand through my now frizzy hair. "Well, it would be okay, if Xavier hadn't forgot to pick me up as well."

"I know he's an asshole" Sam states and I smile a little. I would be lost without my best friend.

"Do you know what we need?" He lifts an eyebrow and I shake my head.

"We are going to our favorite Chinese takeaway shop and ordering everything we want off the menu. Then, we are going back to my place, Tom won't be home and we can open a bottle of wine, or two, and drink and eat until we both feel better. Deal?"

I smile widely at his sneaky expression, he really is the best.

We pull into the Chinese takeaway shop, Sam orders nine things off the menu and by the time we are back in his luxurious house, we are surrounded by bowls of food.