Carnival

Nick POV:

"You excited Carrots?" I asked while I was still focused on my computer screen, typing away. Today was Friday, which was the day we planned on going to the carnival that has recently came to Zootopia.

I heard Judy scoff. "Are you kidding me? You bet I am!" I could tell that she was facing me in the office chair now. She kicked her feet up and down excitedly, she looked like a child who is getting a birthday present.

I chuckled before starting, "You are such a kid Carrots."

I looked at her and saw that she stopped swaying her legs, her eyebrows knitted together. She gave me an annoyed sigh before turning back to look at her computer screen. "No I'm not. I'm just excited is all cause..." I noticed that she got a little quiet at her last part.

I felt like teasing her now. "Cause you want to get some alone time with me?" I said, giving what Judes calls it, my signature sly face.

I saw her whip her head around to me, she glared while also being obviously embarrassed. It's fun to see her like this. "Please Nick, I'm only doing this because I need to make it up to you. Plus, I also haven't been to a carnival in ages." She replied defensively.

I was dumbfounded. "What!? Don't you go to those every year since like, in Bunny Burrows they hold things like this a lot?

"Well, yes they do. But when I was little I told myself that if I got distracted, justice wouldn't be served." Judy confessed.

I chuckled at that. I laid my cheek on my palm before saying: "So, noble, Carrots. Another reason why you are a cop."

"Yeah, but I was a bit too self-righteous. I guess since the Gideon incident I got more of a reason to not give up." Judy responded rubbing the back of her neck.

I smiled at her. "Nah don't worry Judes. If it wasn't for your determination, I wouldn't have ever met you." The moment the words slipped out of my mouth, I felt like I was being a little too sappy, so I looked back to my computer, pretending to act focused. I noticed I did this a lot, even though I hate it when I do it. I guess old habits don't die.

When I looked back to my screen, I could see from the corner of my eye that she was still looking and me, but was giving a sweet smile. I would never say this, but she looks the best when she feels and looks genuinely happy. When she smiles, it seems like her face glows. I realized what I was thinking and quickly shook it out of my mind. When I came back to reality she was already back to working, except she still had her wide grin on her face.

Finally when it was silent for a bit, she spoke up. "I'm happy that I still was determined, too."

My heart swelled at that, but I felt a bit awkward. Things like these were wonderful, but for some reason they made me uncomfortable too. I tried to find an excuse to talk about something else. Luckily I saw that it was 6:00. This was the time for us to get going to the carnival.

"Hey uh, Fluff we should start heading out now." I told her, gesturing at the door.

"Oh alrighty, let's go! You brought your day clothes right?

I held up my gymsack and answered, "Yup, got yours?"

She mirrored my action. We both went to our respective locker rooms and got changed pretty fast.
Once we finished getting dressed we headed off to the carnival.

-

We entered inside to what seemed like a shining, lively city. The flashing lights from the attractions, the vibrant colors, and the talkative mammals all gave the carnival an energetic feel to it. It felt great to be outside, the cool breeze would bristle through my fur every now and then. We've been here for hours now, Just playing their games, eating good food, and chatting the whole time. We've been on pretty much most of the rides, but Judy wanted to go on the ferris wheel as our last ride.