Chapter Eleven

I rode into the camp feeling hundreds of eyes slowly fall onto me as I walked, murmurs spread around me as I continued to the larger tents in the middle of the camp. I had no idea why I was doing this, I didn’t want to do this I’m only here because he made me promise I would come, made me promise that if things started getting heated I would run away to the Varden.

“Who are you and why are you here?” a large blonde man asked, his beard covered half of his face and his strong arms crossed over his chest as he looked down at me. “How old are you anyway?”

“I’m nineteen, and I seek the protection of Eragon.” I stated and he raised a single eyebrow mocking me.

“Everyone seeks the protection of my cousin.” He snorted and I glared up at him. “Why do you think you should have his protection when there are others here maybe even more worthy of his protection that you, a seemingly healthy, young woman?”

“Because I’m his sister.” I stated and the man frowned looking me once over. “Kind of, anyway I haven’t been told of you Cousin of Eragon so why should I tell you my problems?”

“Come with me.” he stated opening an arm for me to walk beside him. “How long were you travelling for?”

“Three days, I left as soon as trouble started in the empire.”

“So we should expect him soon?”

“Who?” I asked looking up at him as he frowned in thought.

“The other rider, the one who champions the empire and does all its evil deeds.” He growled, “Murtagh.”

I nodded and stayed silent until he asked me my name, “Aénor, Daughter of Leila.”

“And your father?”

“I don’t think that’s appropriate.” I replied with a tight smile.

“I think it is.” A different voice joined them as they stood in front of a doorway.

I jerked around and saw the sun bleached hair of who must be Eragon, his voice sounded like his and they had the same eyes, but that’s where the similarities ended. I let out a sigh and held out my hand. “Aénor.”

“Eragon.” He said shaking it, looking at his cousin. “Why are you here?”

“She says she needs your protection, because she is your sister.” Roran stated and Eragon’s face grew hard as he turned back down to me.

“Who sent you here?” he growled grabbing my shoulders and moving me into the room where the door was locked behind me, “Why are you here?”

My mouth gaped like a fish as I looked between his hard angry face and Roran’s now slightly friendlier, confused face before sighing. “It’s a long story really.”

“Oh you are not going anywhere soon.” he stated sitting against the table in the corner.

---

I looked over the woman in front of me, her hair was a bright red and behind the scowl of fear and angst she was beautiful and that’s before she set’s her blue eyes on you. She played with the edge of her overly large cloak as she waited for instructions on what to do next.

“Who is your father?” I asked a little gentler than I had before, she looked nervous as she looked up between me and Roran.

“That’s where the story starts I suppose; my father was Durza the shade. My mother fell in love with him when he was still just a normal regular magician, then he started letting in the spirits and my mother left with me. He may be my father, but I never knew him, I was raised by my mother alone until she died three year ago, that’s when Durza took me into Uru’baen and I became a kitchen maid for Galbatorix.” 

I looked over at Roran who was frowning as he thought things through; a smirk crossed my lips as he spoke. “So you’re a witch?”

“Yes.” She nodded, “A good one I’d like to think too, especially since I was banned from using it whilst being a kitchen maid and my mother had no idea how to help me.”

“Interesting, so you are my sister?” I asked frowning, “Why did Murtagh send you here?”

“Because he didn’t want me to die.” She stated like we were stupid, “He knows things aren’t good and he wanted me to be safe, he panicked and made me promise that the next time he was summoned I would escape and come here to safety.”

“How do we know he didn’t track you here?” Roran asked gruffly, “Anyway this isn’t the safest place in the world either.”

“We know he didn’t track me here else he’d be here already thoroughly annoyed that you two are acting like idiots.” I snapped, “And believe me I would have happily stayed at home, tending the gardens.”

“His wife is pregnant.” I explained as Aénor looked ready to bite his head off, instantly her face softened.

“Congratulations!” she cooed and he bit back a smile and muttered a thank you. “Am I allowed to stay here, because I’d rather get back on the horse and trudge all the way back today rather than wait a few days.”

“You can stay.” I sighed and she gave me a bright smile. “What went on between you and Murtagh anyway?”

“Probably more than what went on between Roran and his wife.” she smirked blushing.

How on earth did a woman so bright, friendly and happy fall in love with one such as Murtagh? He rarely smiled and when he did look amused he didn’t look more than that. She looked incredibly young as well, was this some sort of sordid relationship that he’s trying to hide? Though he may hate what his father stood for, was he more like his father than previously thought?

“For now you can share my tent, I have a spare compartment.” I stated, pushing myself up from the table, interrupting the conversation Roran and Aénor were having.

“Don’t let him teach your child manners.” She stated to Roran who bit back a laugh. “My mother would have boxed your ears for that.”

“I’m far older than you do not preach to me.” I growled and Roran shook his head.

“And how old is that?” she asked smiling prettily. “And how old do I look?”

“Nineteen.” I stated feeling as if I were walking into a trap, “You look about fifteen.”

“I’m nineteen also, so keep your opinions to yourself, you may still be a bit wet behind the ears but I most certainly am not.” She snapped and I felt my shoulders sag and my head hang slightly. “I accept your apology; it’s not nice to start things of on the wrong foot now is it?”

“I like her.” Roran stated as we walked back through the camp and towards our tents on the higher covered grounds. “She’ll get along well with Katrina.”

“Katrina’s a few years younger.”

“So, I get along with you.” he stated and I frowned.

“And I thought having you here would be fun.” I groaned as he disappeared and I deposited Aénor in the tent before retrieving Sapphira for some well needed peace.