Jaebum

Present

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Jaebum, haappy birthdaay too yoouuu!!! Make a wish honey!" his mother cheered and waited for the boy to blow the candles.

"Ahh, what to wish for?..." the young male thought and blew till his head hurt. He thought "I just need health for me and my family. I don't care about anything else."

It was his 18th birthday. The years went by. It didn't seem like much. 18 years weren't a lot but still. Thinking back, he wanted to have done things differently. It was rare thought for him to get sentimental about events in his life. He just let things take their own course.

He slept for the night, sensing his phone vibrating from time to time. He didn't care though. He knew it probably was one of his friends but not the one he wanted.

The other morning, was a week day so that meant class. He got up feeling a bit dizzy. Getting ready quickly and without special attention to his appearance, the boy rushed to school.

Putting his headphones on, he put the music on blast and started walking. His school was a 45 min walk and he was running a bit late. Rubbing his hands to warm them up a bit, he walked faster. He put them in his pocket and thought to himself. The boys were probably waiting for him. He couldn't say he wasn't happy but it kind of seemed off.

"Hey birthday boy! Happy birthday! Why didn't you answer my message? I sent you one right at 00:00" Jinyoung pouted at him and hit him playfully.
"Sorry, I fell asleep since 10. I was kind of tired i don't know. School is getting on me finally."
"Well ok ok. Anyway we'll go out this saturday eh?" he continued to ask.
"Yeah yeah of course" the other replied.

The senior year for Jaebum, came with a wrap of annoyance and boredom. He wasn't particularly interested in any job, neither major. He liked english thought and he listened to a lot of foreign music and watched movies, so he was getting the hang of it.

But most of all, Jaebum was fed up with high school life. Every one was the same. Every day seemed to never end with the unnecessary drama. Only music and movies seemed to distract him from the world. Matter of fact, he couldn't wait for it to be over and start a new phase in his life.

"Yeaahhh happy birthday big boy!"
A bunch of people were wishing Jaebum and the boy was overwhelmed with well wishes and smiles. He couldn't lie that he liked the attention. It was nice. He felt important.

Putting their glasses down, the boys grinned to Jaebum.

"Yah man, we got you a little gift." and they gave the boy a little box. Jaebum opened it and found a little golden cross. In no way he was religious but he liked that cross. It seemed nice on his chest.

He thought if his family would like it. His mom would probably call Jinyoung's mom and talk about it for an hour. A wild thought crossed his mind and he tried to keep it at bay as much as possible. Now wasn't the time to think about Youngjae. The little fucker made his own bed. And he was not gonna pet him anymore.