Chapter 19

Most intense chapter. Y'all ready? Here goes.....

************************************************************************************************************

*Hope's POV:

"Sixteen years ago," he started. "I lost my wife and daughter, little Emelia, in a bad car accident. We were coming back from Disney on Ice and it was kind of late so we went to IHOP after. It was about 1 in the morning. I hadn't been getting much sleep lately because I'd been working overtime alot to try and save up for this new car I wanted. I was really stressed and needed sleep bad. My eyelids starting getting heavy as I was driving, and I kept telling myself to stay awake and how we were almost home. Finally, my body gives up and next thing I know, I'm in another lane of traffic. The beep of another car woke me up and I turned quickly to get out the way. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to break away from the lane before the car came crashing into the passenger side of the car where my wife was, and Emelia was sitting beside her. Glass shattered around me, and my world went blank."

I was growing emotional at his story, even though a little part of me told me not to believe him.

"The events of that night tortured me for two whole years. Day and night, they would not stop replaying in my head. One day, I was on the job and I had a complete breakdown in the bathroom. I didn't know there was another man in there. He saw what happened and I explained everything I had been going through. That's when he introduced me to weed. He said it could solve all my problems and make me forget that that night ever happened. That grassy goodness... The only green thing that makes me happy besides money." Monte looked like a kid in a candy store when he was describing it. "He introduced me to a dealer and I swear, the weed practically saved my life. All the stress and anguish was gone, and I started living my normal life once again. I was loving life... until he got married. That's when he started getting distracted, and giving me my orders late and stuff, until one day, he altogether just stopped. He just cut me off. Like THAT." He snapped his fingers for emphasis. "He was the king of the streets back then, so it's not like I could find another dealer that quick since they were laying so low. I started having bad withdrawals and violent stages of depression once again, due to the lack of Marijuana in my system."

"Monte, where is this story going exactly?" Xavi interrupted.

"Because I'm trying to explain how in this life, you don't combine business with family. That's just a no-no. That's how you start getting distracted from your work and pissing off customers like me! And since you can't seem to satisfy my needs, I'm going to eliminate the distraction out of your life for you so you can start getting back on track again. Last time, I murdered my dealer, but this time, I'm giving you another chance to get your life straight again. I'm showing you how in this world, you gotta keep your mind on the money and eliminate everything else out of your life!"

I was completely silent through the whole affair. I didn't dare let one whisper of a word come out of my mouth, out of fear that my life would be cut off-just like that.

"And don't you dare think I'm letting YOU off the hook either missy!" Monte turned and pointed his finger at me. "You were the cause of my problems thirteen years ago, and now here you go popping back up AGAIN!"

There was silence in the room as me and Xavi both looked at each other in confusion as to what Monte was talking about.

"Victor made the same mistake Xavi's making right now. He chose his heart over his money. He didn't realize that you couldn't leave the game that easily. He just up and left me hanging while him, his wife, and his beautiful daughter-HOPE!- went off and got to live "happily ever after". So I made his life easier. Since he wanted to leave the game so bad, I gave him a reason too. I killed him."

My whole body froze at that moment. My body went numb and my blood turned cold. Rage slowly started rising within me, like a hot fire soon to turn into a blazing inferno. Words couldn't describe my anger at the moment. Standing in front of me, at that very moment, was my father's... murderer.

"Ha," he laughed. "Didn't expect it huh? Yeah, bitch. I killed your father. I started growing my own weed until one day, my friend Monkey told me about a lil youngin who was just gettin into the game and needed a few customers to get him started. It was getting annoying growing my own weed. I had to wait for it to grow and keep worrying about the feds being on my ass. So I decided to take this lil nigga up on the offer. And that's when I met Xavi." He smiled.

"Xavi," Monte walked over to Xavi's chair and put his arm around his shoulder. "You and I have been cool from the jump. You always were able to get me what I need and it's fair to say, I'm surprised how successful you've become. That is until you met this stupid girl of yours and now you seem to got your head in the clouds. That ain't cool bruh."

"That's why. I'm going to give you another chance, and get rid of her the same way I did to her father YEARS ago!" Monte cocked his gun and pointed it directly at me. I sat completely frozen in terror.

"Wait!" Xavi yelled out. "Don't touch her! Take me!"

*************************************************************************************************************************************

*Brooklyn's POV:

I have been sitting in this chair for 10 frickin hours doing absolutely NOTHING! I swear, I HATE Atlanta Police Department. Ain't nobody here do their job. I filed a missing person's report two damn days ago and STILL nobody has at least the slightest clue as to where Hope is. I might as well team up with Hope's grandma and form my own little detective team because this police department ain't helping at all.

"Brooklyn Barnes?" a tall, slender lady dressed in a suit with an APD badge on her chest walked over towards me. "I'm Detective Jessica Smith. Come with me."

I followed her into a small, dark room with a table in the middle. I'm guessing it was the questioning area. I sat down in the chair by the table while Jessica opened up a folder and started sorting through different papers across from me.

"So, you say your friend went missing two days ago?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"Where and when was the last time you saw her?"

"Three days ago at school." She wrote down on a sheet of paper what I assumed to be my answers.

"And you don't have the SLIGHTEST idea as to where she could be?"

"No."

"Did she ever mention anyone that was threatening her or after her in any type of way?"

"No."

"Well, ma'am. This will be a tough case and it will take a loooongggg time to try and crack down as to where she is. Since we don't have any answers, there's nothing we can do for you right now."

"How long will it take?"

"Months, maybe even years. Worse, we may never find her at all."

"No!" I shouted. "You HAVE to! She's my best friend! Please! Use your magic! Do SOMETHING! You can't just leave her helpless like this! Please!" I pleaded with her.

The lady had a pained look on her face. "We'll try our best, but I can't guarantee that you will get results. I'm sorry."

I sat back in my seat and sighed loudly. I was tired. Drained. Annoyed. I was at a complete dead end. There was nothing I could do at this point. It's not like I can't say I didn't try. I would go to the ends of the earth to find this girl.

The girl who I might never see face to face EVER again.

*************************************************************************************

*Hope's POV:

"What?" Monte turned around and gave Xavi the same look I was giving him. The "What the hell are you doing?!" look.

"Take me. Unlike me, Hope has something to live for. Ain't nobody gon miss me when I'm gone. It's just me, myself, and I out here. No family, nothing. Just promise me, you won't touch another hair on her head and let her go."

That's when I saw a change in Monte's face. A glimmer of... compassion. He slowly put the gun down and continued to stare at Xavi. "So you're saying, that you'll give your life for this girl?"

"Yeah nigga," Xavi answered.

"You really love her THAT much?"

"I know man, she got me whipped." He looked at me before looking back down at the ground. I just stared at him, my mouth hanging open.

"But didn't she cheat on you?" Monte asked.

"Yeah, but for some reason. I can't bring myself to hate her." My heart broke when he said that. I felt disgusted with myself. I didn't even want to be in his presence anymore.

Monte stood there for a few more seconds before saying, "Man that's love." He turned to DeMarco, who I forgot was sitting in the corner. "Marco, ain't they cute?"

DeMarco looked dumbfounded and angry with the way Monte was acting.

"I'm just... speechless. You would really give your life for her. You know what? I'mma let y'all go. I don't know why. I just... my heart is telling me to. Don't even ask why... but yeah, y'all are free to go." He started loosening the ropes around my hands and ankles.

"Oh no nigga f-ck you think you doin?" DeMarco rose up from his seat and started approaching Monte. "You really thinking bout letting these two go? Have you lost your mind?!"

"You heard the man!" he screamed. "If he wants to die for Hope so bad, let him!" And I watched as DeMarco snatched the gun out of Monte's hands and aimed it directly at Xavi.

"BOOM!" the gun fired.

*************************************************************************************

*Xavi's POV:

It all happened so fast. Before I knew it, I was making eye contact with the gun. I saw the bullet eject from it and head straight towards my head. I didn't even get the chance to scream, much less to open my mouth. It connected with my head, shattering my skull instantly. Everything went black.

My forehead felt like it was on fire. My mind, what little I had left of it, started leaving me quickly, giving me no chance to savor the last few moments of my life. Events from the past years started flowing through my head, like a huge slideshow on super fast-forward. Those moments from when I was little and I would play with both my mom and dad on the beach. The days when both of my parents were in my life, and everything was perfect and sadness didn't even exist. Then I saw the time of when my father left me. He was at the airport hugging me goodbye, telling me he'd be back before I knew it. Only to find out, he'd never come back at all. The next image that popped up was of my mother and her beautiful, tender loving face smiling back at me. Her dimples perfectly accenting her cheekbones and her dazzling, white smile. I hadn't seen her in five years, ever since I ran away that day in eighth grade. I just wish I had the chance to say goodbye.

A couple more memories passed through in my head. Up until the very last image I saw in my head.

The most beautiful girl in the world, the love of my life, Hope La' Cienica Gonzalez. Her soft, smooth honey-toned skin and her silky brown hair that perfectly fell around her shoulders. Her soft brown eyes that seemed to look past your outward appearance to the inside of you, like you were made of glass. Everything about her was just... perfect. I kept that image on my mind as long as I could until it slowly started fading away into darkness.

And soon before I knew it, I was completely gone.

*************************************************************************************

*Hope's POV:

I sat there trying to process what I just saw. I just stared and stared at Xavi's lifeless body, slumped in the chair across from me, hoping that if I stared long enough, he would come back to life. Words couldn't describe how I felt at the moment. I was sad, but tears wouldn't come out. I was angry, but my mouth couldn't utter the smallest curse. I wanted to strangle DeMarco... but I couldn't even move a finger.

"What the f-ck is wrong with you?!" Monte yelled at DeMarco.

"Man, that's what both of em deserve. She should've never left me for that lameass nigga. Bitch, you love him so bad, how bout you go die with him!" DeMarco yelled at me before giving me the finger and storming out of the room.

I got up out of my chair and kneeled down in front of Xavi. Since he was shot, his eyes were still wide open. I looked into them, but they were dead. Hollow circles stared back at me, not a hint of life within them.

I laid my head down onto his lap and started crying. Harder than I ever have before. If anyone had to go, it should've been me. I was the one who screwed everything up. I had no business messing with DeMarco in the first place. And I told myself not to go after these hood niggas either because all they do is get you in trouble. Look where that got me. I betrayed my best friend, screwed up my relationship, and now I had my own boyfriend murdered. Why? Because Hope Gonzalez does not like to listen. She's a selfish bitch who deserves to rot in hell.

I heard Monte walk over to me, then turn around and walk away. Good thinking. I didn't want to have anything to do with anyone. Maybe I should just take DeMarco's advice and kill myself. Xavi was wrong. I have NOTHING here on earth to live for.

I heard a door slam open. "Atlanta Police Department. Let me see you put your hands up!"

I sprang up from Xavi's lap and stared into the bright light at the end of the room.

"HOPE!" I heard Brooklyn's voice call out.

I couldn't call back since I hadn't talked in days, and my voice was very raspy and low.

"Ma'am?" one of the people called out. I saw the group start walking towards me, but I just stayed frozen in my spot.

I finally saw Brooklyn at the front of the crowd with a blonde lady holding up a flashlight.

"Hope!" Brooklyn shrieked as she started running towards me. I stood there as she gulped me into a huge bear hug, crying hysterically. I just stood there, still frozen in shock.

*************************************************************************************

*A/N:

So far, my favoriteeee chapter. Some of y'all may hate me, but whatever. I might post two more chapters, or maybe just an epilogue. Y'all will see... but yeah.

-XAVI IS DEAD! *WEEPS* (SORRY TO ALL THE #TeamXavi FANS OUT THERE =[)

I LOVE YOU GUUUYYYSSSS!

VOTE AND COMMENT

Happy Reading J