6-Abby

Part Two

At the CMRA, Jenna punches in the code to the door. Despite my feeling of defeat, I catch the last few digits: 2, 3, 8. Jenna tells me to see Riley Shaw in his office. Mr. Shaw is, like, the head of the entire CMRA. So, I guess he's just going to finalize my elimination from the agency. I walk toward the door appropriately labeled: President: Riley Shaw. Remembering Randy's mistake at Jenna's door, I try pushing the door open first. It opens; at least I've done something right today.

Looking around the office I see that it is pretty barren. To the left is Mr. Shaw's desk and in the far right corner is a plastic plant, but other than that, the room is empty.

"Abigail Worldd, have a seat," Mr. Shaw says simply, motioning to one of the chairs in front of his desk. He looks to be in his mid-forties, has a full, but close-cropped black beard and hair of the same length and color. His eyes are a dark, piercing brown that seem to read my mind. When I am seated he continues, "You did accept the mission so I am giving you the five hundred dollars due to you." He hands me a bundle of twenty dollar bills. I take the money gratefully, but I'm still pretty disappointed that I'm not a CMRA agent. Maybe Mr. Shaw will listen if I tell him I had a plan.

"Mr. Shaw, there is one thing I'd like to tell you, though. About my entry test, I had a plan to conquer BOB; I just never got a chance to try it."

"Oh really? What was your plan?" Now that he's asking, I don't really want to tell him. What if he thinks it was really dumb and implausible? Then I'd just end up looking dumb in front of my sisters' boss.

"I...my plan was to try and use magic...um...lightning and shoot it at the knife to shock BOB," I tell him, but my voice gets higher at the end of the sentence so that it sounds more like a question. Mr. Shaw raises an eyebrow.

"Really? Well that's creative. If it's true I think you'd make an excellent agent, but you realize I can't take your word on it. What if you're lying?"

"You could use a lie detector," I stutter.

"We could, but those can be tricked." I want to say that if I was clever enough to trick a lie detector than I was certainly smart enough to be an agent, but not wanting to sound self-centered, I keep my mouth shut. "I'm truly sorry, Abby."

"I understand, I guess. Thanks for the money," I answer dejectedly as I start for the door.

"Wait, Abby," Mr. Shaw calls excitedly, rising from his chair, "Where did you get that locket?"

"This?" I ask, fingering my necklace.

"Yes."

"Uh, my dad found it at his shop. Nobody claimed it so he gave it to me. It doesn't open, I think the hinges are rusted shut, but I like it anyway."

"Is that so? May I see it?"

"Yeah, I guess," I tell him, unlatching the chain clasp and handing it over. He examines the engraved writing I know says: Heather Ally Lopez. My dad and I have tried to figure out who she is a million times, but it's no use. It's like she doesn't exist. Mr. Shaw, on the other hand, seems to recognize the name immediately.

"Do you know how long I've been searching for this locket?"

"Uh, no sir."

"Twenty-eight years I've been looking for this particular locket. It is special and no one has been able to open it... How badly do you want to be a CMRA agent?"

"Very badly, sir."

"Tell you what, if you can get this locket open and deliver the contents to me directly, you'll earn yourself a permanent spot in the CMRA. Deal?" he asks, holding out his hand.