20

Abby

Being jetlagged and all, I sleep in until 11:30 the next day, which is Thursday. By the time I wake up Jenna is gone and my parents and Marie are back. Sarah stacked some books in front of the locket and frying pan to hide it while I was asleep, and I'm grateful. I hope she stuck to her word about taking care of the animals and collected the chicken eggs, too. Downstairs, Mom is watching TV, Marie is taking a nap, and Dad is reading the paper. I guess they're just as tired as me. To pass the time, Sarah and I decide to go swimming in the lake in the woods near our house. We get on our swimsuits, grab towels, and head outside. The woods basically surrounds three sides of our property, as it starts on the right side of the backyard and snakes around behind the hayfield and barn all the while getting thicker before coming back around and thinning out on the opposite side of the cow pasture, which is to the left of the backyard. We walk all the way to the back of the hayfield directly opposite the house. Within the trees here is the pond. It's about three fourths the size of a public swimming pool. The oak and maple and two weeping willow trees cast shadows over the water. A few years back Dad built a small little dock and a floating wooden platform in the center. The water near the sides is probably five or six feet deep, but the center is double that. There aren't even any rocks on the bottom, so we can dive to the floor.

"Ready?" Sarah asks, dropping her towel at the end of the dock. I do the same.

"I'm ready," I tell her. At the same time we run to the edge of the dock and cannonball into the water. We come up soaked and laughing.

Only when our skin is all shriveled up do we dry off and head back to the house to find that Marie is up and restless. She's pacing in front of the door to the mudroom and jingling car keys. "Come on, Dad," she calls.

"I'm coming," Dad replies, appearing around the corner.

"Where are you going?" Sarah asks.

"To take my driver's test. I'm so nervous. Do you think I'll pass?" Before I can reply Dad appears in the kitchen and they leave. Once they pull out of the driveway I go up to check on my locket. It hasn't changed much. I'm growing impatient, but I'll live; I've come this far. 

Marie

   The driving test is easy enough. The written part was a piece of cake; I had all the answers memorized. As for the actual driving part, I scored perfectly! So, I'm now a licensed driver! On the way home Dad even stopped and let me get a new phone. The first thing I do is text Bryan, my boyfriend. We only started going out since I turned sixteen a few months ago, but I've known him since I was little. He lives down the street a couple miles and my parents were happy when I started dating him as opposed to some weirdo they've never met.

Me: guess what

Bryan: what?

Me: guess

Bryan: idk

Me: i got my drivers license!

Bryan: great (:

Bryan: we should go out 2 celebrate

Me: when?

Bryan: how does next sat. sound?

Me: OK can't wait! Luv u!

Bryan: @> --- > ---