13-Abby

It's a relief when we leave the university with Sherman. At the airport we board a plane headed for Texas. We are served lunch on the plane before we land, and once we do a guy named Felix is waiting for us at the airport with a car. He takes us to the boy named Beck's house and parks a few yards away.

The first thing I notice once we're out of the car is the Toyota in Beck's driveway. The back is covered with bumper stickers about something called Autism. Jessica follows my gaze.

"Hmm, I guess Beck has Autism," she comments.

"What is that?" I ask her.

"Um, it's a developmental disorder that has to do with the brain; my brother has it," she explains. "So, how do we play this one?"

"We have to get his parents out of there somehow," Aaron says.

"Maybe we can make a diversion," I suggest.

"What kind of diversion?" Jessica asks.

"Um, magical?" I answer.

"What about an explosion?" Aaron says.

"What would we blow up?" Jessica asks.

"Well, do you have a better idea?" Aaron retorts.

"How about a storm of some sort?" I pipe up.

"Why not? How about, like, a miniature tornado or something?" Aaron says.

"Done. Abby talks to Beck, Aaron and I make a funnel cloud. Got it? Good, now come on," Jessica orders.

"Wait, what?" I stutter; I can't do this, but she's already rounding to the backyard of the house. A few seconds later, strong gusts of wind become audible. A rumbling, roaring sound gradually gets louder until it sounds like a freight train. I hear things being whipped around. Clang! Two metal patio chairs crash into each other. Above the raging winds I hear the back door slam. Immediately, the air becomes still and all is silent.

"What on earth is going on out here?" says a distinctively male voice.

"Low-flying airplane?" a female guesses doubtfully.

"But the patio table..."

It takes me a few seconds to realize that I'm supposed to be talking to Beck while his parents are out here. I rush forward, but hesitate at the door. Should I knock? I decide against it and just grab the knob, which turns easily in my hand. Feeling like a criminal, I step into the house. I'm standing in the entrance hallway with a flight of carpeted steps directly in front of me and a doorframe on either side. Through one frame is a dining room, and through the other is a playroom in which Beck sits on the floor. I notice he has brown hair and light brown eyes. He flaps his hands and starts spouting odd, unintelligible noises while watching TV. I'm not sure what to make of it. Jessica walks in beside me with Aaron behind her.

"He's stimming; it helps autistic people feel calm," Jessica tells us upon seeing my confused face. Suddenly, Aaron's eyes widen and he starts stuttering the same noises as Beck. His arms twitch uncontrollably. My mind goes into panic mode and my first thought is that he might be having a seizure.

"Aaron, are you okay?"

He doesn't answer. I look back at Beck and the pieces click. "He must be having a flash in Beck's head!" I tell Jessica. "Aaron, breathe."

He nods his head and stops stuttering. "Yeah, I'm sorry, it's just weird. I...it surprised me..." his eyes flutter around the room, glancing from the TV to the clock to outside the window. "It's like ever sense is on overdrive...and you can't concentrate...and..." he stands still. I can tell the vision has ended. The back door slams shut; Beck's parents are back. Jessica surges forward.

"Beck, hi, I'm Jessica and these are my, friends, Aaron and Abby," she confronts Beck.

"Hi," he says absent-mindedly, not looking away from the TV.

"We just want you to tell this locket to open and then we'll leave you to your show," I say quietly, but quickly, pulling out the locket. Beck glances at the locket, and then goes back to watching TV.

"Can you repeat after me?" Jessica asks, "Locket, it's okay to open."

"Locketit'sokaytoopen," Beck says all at once without looking over. Aaron shrugs. I hear footsteps on the kitchen floor.

"Come on!" Aaron hisses, "Go, go, go!" We run out the front door just as Beck's parents reach the playroom.

Felix drives us to a nearby restaurant for dinner and afterwards to our hotel. Jessica and I share a room, while Aaron gets one all to himself, lucky him.