Ch. 4: Rest Stop

Chapter 4

**********************************

*Marie's P.O.V.*

We were walking higher over a bluff that was leading us away from the beach, leading us up on it's narrow path so that it was impossible to avoid look over the edge at the ocean waves as they broke against the jagged rocks below. I've never been very comfortable with heights, so I was closest to the wall of the cliffs. Despite that, I could still see the deadly drop from where I walked.

I was thirsty, but I didn't say anything. I didn't want to bug the other kids with any complaints about something they couldn't actually help me with- none of us had any water on us, just food- and even that was already gone.

Also the girls had already taken me to a secluded area to change into my extra clothes, which included a loose red tank top tunic with yellow hemming at the edges and black leggings that no longer had pockets to allow me to hide my gold device. I ended up shoving it at the very bottom of my backpack.

I still don't understand why we have those things... I thought to myself as a distraction from the heights.

"How are you feeling?" Sora asked once we all stopped to take a break from all our walking, no longer confined to the narrow path now that we had reached the top of the cliffs that led off to another forest.

When I first met Sora, I thought we wouldn't get much communication between each other. I don't know why, she seemed rather distant at first glance.

Now that we had more time with each other, I came to realize how caring she actually was- and very gentle when speaking to me. I liked it.

"I'm alright," I said, keeping my thirst for water a secret. I was sure we'd eventually pass fresh water to drink... I mean, how else were everyone's Digimon friends surviving before?

"Agumon," I heard Taichi call out his companion from in front of Sora, Piyomon, and I.

"What is it, Taichi?" Agumon asked, stepping up beside his beloved partner with a pep in his step.

"You evolved into Greymon. Why is it that you became Agumon again?" Taichi asked, crossing his arms and looking ahead.

"Well..." Agumon trailed off.

"Well?"

"I don't know," Agumon finally answered, causing Taichi to nearly double take straight off of the cliff before Agumon casually grabbed the back of his shirt to support him.

The other kids and Digimon giggled at his reaction, leaving me to struggle to keep a straight face since I was still agitated after the beach incident.

No! I'm mad at him! I refuse to laugh! I thought to myself, puffing my cheeks and turning to look at something else.

I jumped and turned my attention towards rocky wall when a spark of agitation rushed to my head. Moments after I looked in the direction where I sensed agitation from, a large gray and white Digimon resembling a triceratops suddenly came crashing through the wall, sending rocks crumbling aside as it situated itself to one side of our group with a loud growl.

"What's that?!" Izzy asked out loud as some of us backed an inch away from it in case it tried something.

"Oh, don't worry about him! That's Monochromon, he's a gentle Digimon," Tentomon assured his partner. Another spark of discontent made me turn yet again to see another Monochromon walking from the other side of where we all stood.

"Um, this doesn't look good," I said, causing the other's to direct their attention towards the second Digimon approaching.

"They're on both sides, we should scram!" Matt said, voice rising when the Monochromon suddenly started to charge towards us from both sides.