Ch. 13: Self Doubt

Chapter 13

*****************************

*Marie's P.O.V.*

"...I think everyone is just tired," I hear Gabumon comment somewhere in the background as I take a deep breath to fill the empty void in my stomach, composing myself and putting my neutral face back on as I step back from Jojo, meeting his eyes momentarily and receiving a nod in return. We're not about to talk here, but a talk is definitely necessary as soon as the group finds a stopping point.

"How sad..." Gomamon audibly sympathises, only talking one step in Jojo and I's direction before the sound of obnoxious chatter begins to echo from deep within the recesses of the sewers. Confused, I frown in unison with Jojo, the two of us turning our heads to look to our left where the noises are coming from. What in the world...?'

"Eh? What's that noise...?" Sora queries, while Jojo and I take precautions by backpeddaling towards the others, keeping our gaze locked cautiously on the pitch black of the tunnel ahead of us.

There's a beat of silence where everyone quiets to listen closely as it the sounds get closer and closer, right until Agumon makes a wretching noise of abject disgust, correlating with the palpable feelings of revulstion that quickly emanate from every digimon partner in the vicinity.

"Numemon," Gabumon confirms with a frown, prompting Piyomon to shiver at his side with just the mere mention of this name.

"Wait, what did you just call it?" Yamato inquires, once again sounding awfully close behind me. I feel my back go rigid in response to his proximity, but don't jump away since my main concern is whatever this "Numemon" thing is that's slowly closing in on us.

It feels like... Something territorial. Something that's annoyed yet excited by our presence. And... There's more than one. I don't like this one bit! Why are we still just standing here?

"I think we need to leave," I speak up timidly, my meek voice barely noticed by anyone as they resume their coversations. At the complete disregard of my comment, I make a face and look towards the other kids, only to find that they're all either looking at the end of the pitch black tunnel or listening to the digimon prattle about the Numemon. "We should start moving, everyone..." I try again, but make a face of frustration when I'm once again ignored.

"Them. They're Numemon. They're these really gross type of digimon that like dark, slimy, and dirty places like these. Normally if you see one, there's more behind it!" Gomamon groans from beside Jojo's feet.

"Are they strong? Could we take them in a fight?" Izzy asks next, also answering any lingering thoughts on why we would still be standing there with oncoming multiple enemies. True, if we can fight them off, or better yet, intimidate them into submission, then we're probably in no real danger.

"They're weak. But I would not propose we attempt engaging them..." Tentomon grumbles, somehow managing to cringe into himself enough to convey the disgust that is growing the louder the sounds get. At this response and visibly display from his digimon partner, Izzy cocks his head to the side and makes a face of confusion.

I look back towards the end of the tunnel, finally just about able to make out figures moving together in the distance. It looks like several small squishy bodies, accompanied by the squelching noises their bodies make as they advance towards us in a group. It's while I'm observing them in my special way that I seem to extract a certain amount of tidbit that makes me slap my hand loudly on Jojo's wrist as I bend over to scoop up Gomamon, the most repulsed look of abject horror on my face as I proceed to roughly pull my cousin straight past the other kids with no regard for whether they'll follow or not. TK looks after us curiously, but stays rooted beside Tai and Agumon for the most part.