Ch. 6: The Empath Revealed

Chapter 6

*********************************

*Marie's P.O.V*

We were walking again. Past several familiar street signs that pointed in one too many directions for my liking. I was walking close to TK and Patamon near the back of everyone else, my hair once again pulled up in its usual high ponytail.

For some reason, none of the other older kids wanted to tell me what had happened back at the lake. After the first couple of "don't worry about it" responses, and the nervous avoidance of the topic all together from Koushiro, I was left to mentally reprimand myself for listening to my music instead of watching what was going on.

Despite that though, I guess it was for the best that I missed everything. Had I been watching like I wished I had, I knew I would have sprinted out there and disobeyed Jojo. I didn't like making my cousin upset. He was important to me and I didn't want to be the cause of any negative emotions he may experience as a result of my actions.

Thankfully, Captain Takeru was the greatest friend ever.

"Heehee, don't worry, Marie. I'll tell you all about it when we're alone, okay?" TK whispered in an exhilarated tone as we walked behind the older kids, making me grin at him as I brought a single earphone up to my ear. I offered him the second earphone, which he took and popped in his ear as we followed our older friends deeper into the forest.

"Takeru, do you like Marie a lot?" Patamon inquired after a few moments of silence, causing TK and I to look at the tan and white bat Digimon curiously.

"Huh? Sure I do. Why?" TK answered without hesitation.

My heart and brain were instantly struck with discomfort and, likewise, pleasant surprise. TK had answered so shortly, as if it were a normal thing to admit feelings such as that to another person. My expression hadn't wavered, but Patamon turned to look at me anyways, clearly having felt internal reaction.

In the back of my mind, I could hear the voice of my old therapist- nagging away as per usual even when he wasn't present.

Mm-hmm, and how does that make you feel, Marie?

It makes me feel like you need to shut up now...

"Are you alright?" Gomamon, a little ahead of us three, asked curiously, pausing when he sensed my inner emotions. Gradually, the other Digimon stopped to glance at me as well, causing my heart to jerk in horror within when the other kids began to follow the gazes of their Digimon friends.

Was it always going to be like this? Every time I felt even a smidge of discomfort, was I going to be hounded about my emotions? Just like after... It happened?

"Marie?" Agumon spoke up when I fell silent, causing Tai to direct his attention to me as well.

My body froze for a second, terror taking over me at the sight of fourteen pairs of eyes staring back at me (including the eyes of my crush).

"D-Don't stare at me like that...!" I complained with what sounded to my ears as a weak, pathetic voice. Needless to say, my shy side caused Mimi to strike once again, making the girl release a high pitched squeal that could rival the sounds of car brakes gone too long without a change of oil.

Dad used to like cars...

Mimi jumped to my side in a snap, wrapping her arms around my shoulders and nuzzling her cheek against the top of my head. "Oh, you're just so cute! Joe, can I have her, pleeaase?!" Mimi begged, shooting my blue haired cousin sparkly-eyed glances. Joe's only reaction was to release an exaggerated sigh.