Ch. 8: It'll Be Okay

Chapter 8

*********************************

*3rd Person P.O.V.*

"SORA, Let go! Marie's in trouble! Please!" Piyomon panicked suddenly in the arms of one confused red head, extremely bewildered at the abrupt struggle that had taken hold of the pink avian digimon that forcefully squirmed from Sora after they had hugged. Puzzled and unsure of what else to do, Sora's arms fell slack and she was soon running back towards the ship, trailing after flying Piyomon.

Sora's focus returned to the flame digimon and she looked past her usually amorous digimon, just in time to see Meramon jumping off the deck and landing down between Tai, Izzy, Tentomon, and Agumon- the latter pair of digimon which looked like they were panicking as much as Piyomon currently was.

Sora started to freak out herself too, especially when she saw a familiar blonde braided girl tucked under Meramon's arm. The girl visibly squirmed, though her efforts seemed to be fruitless against the flame digimon and she flinched every time Meramon moved.

What? Marie?! What does that digimon want with her?! Sora wondered to herself silently, legs suddenly bursting into an adrenaline pumped speed to the point that her calves began to burn to her exertion as she watched Meramon reach for Marie with his free hand and...

It was incredibly painful for Sora to watch.

Meramon grabbed one of Marie's arms, and with a violent and swift swing, slammed her small body back against an intact part of the metal hull of the ship. A heartbreaking noise left her right before she slid down and went still- as if she had every molecule of air forced out from her lungs.

Sora was rightfully horrified, but an indescribable rage built up within her gut at the same time. On her way towards them, she spotted a thick bat-shaped piece of wood and scooped it up, vaguely hearing Tai's and Izzy's startled voices when they struggled to get around Meramon and reach Marie. Their digimon partners were trying to attack Meramon, but for some reason, neither of them were doing much damage. In fact... It almost looked like it was making Meramon gather more mass, his height and flames increasing with every "Petite Thunder" and "Baby Flame".

Sora hastily closed the distance and deftly swung the branch at Meramon from behind, aiming for his head with all the force she could muster from her underdeveloped ten-year-old muscles.

The crack of the branch hitting Meramon's head resounded across the dry lake floor, followed by a roar of pain from Meramon when he turned away from the other digimon to face the red haired girl. At that point, Sora suddenly went stiff with fear. She'd hit Meramon, but now what? She'd hoped he'd have keeled over like bad guys did in the action movies when they were dealt blows to the head... Seemed like it was just wishful thinking that she might be able to stand a chance against the fire digimon.

Her petrified state didn't last long when Meramon raised an arm. Sora's eyes widened and she instinctually swung the branch again, flinching a step back as she did so.

Unfortunately, she didn't manage to hit him this time- at least not the way she'd planned to.

"Burning Fist!" Meramon shouted, his right fist flaring to life like a torch with a sharp vibrancy as it met with Sora's branch, snapping it in two and making the girl drop the end of it when it began to catch fire.

This was when the digimon managed to successfully step in, as their attacking had been doing nothing at Meramon's flame backside. The resulting action was for all three at the immediate area to tackle the rogue digimon, with Gabumon, Palmon, Patamon, and Gomamon tackling him out of nowhere in a second blow to keep him off balance. Every effort to make a good distraction and assist Sora.