Ch. 15: Self Loathing

A/N: The art above is my own work and for my own use only.

(updated my signature to match my newer username)

❀ 〰〰〰〰 ஓ ๑​ ❂ ๑​ ஓ 〰〰〰〰 ❀

Chapter 15

3rd Person P.O.V.

Joe's face of concern and fear is mirrored across the other digimon and kids after the defeat of Monzaimon by a brave Mimi Tachikawa and her partner Palmon- who at the time evolved with sheer determination into Togemon to protect Mimi as the hordes of Numemon had.

Once it was certain that everyone had been rescued, one thing had been made abundantly clear.

Marie is nowhere within the perimeters of Toy Town.

"The last time I saw her was after Monzaimon captured Agumon and I. We were overpowered and Agumon had been too weak to evolve after the fight with Andromon... This is my fault, we should have stayed hidden in the woods instead of taking that risk and going out in the clearing to find you guys," Tai says, a pained expression on his face. Agumon pats Tai's back, a fruitless effort to make his human partner feel a little better.

"I recall chasing her back into the woods, but after a certain distance, I couldn't sense her anymore. It was almost as if she'd just disappeared altogether. Perhaps you ought to check the area I last saw her anyways. I can lead you to it no problem. After all, you did help release me from the control of that gear after causing so much trouble for your group," Monzaimon states, making the other kids look at one another before nodding. For the most part, Joe just stands helplessly in the back, clutching Gomamon like a lifeline as Marie usually does.

"...Don't worry, Joe, we'll find her," Gomamon reassures his partner, trying to be upbeat despite his own concerns.

Joe only nods halfheartedly, completely silent for the most part as he tries to think on the bright side of things. Marie's problems are his problems. Everything Marie has lost is a loss for himself as well.

And regardless of trying to see the glass half full, all he sees are broken shards and spilt water across the floor- a grim reminder of life's fragility and unexpected cruelty.

On top of everything, he just can't bear to lose his cousin too.

****************************

I scramble backwards and trip on a raised patch of grass, my scream now a blubbering mixture of disbelief and white hot fear as I fall backwards on the ground. The strange digimon opens it's mouth to reveal Lopmon's glowing head to me in a crude fashion, as if finding my reaction amusing. Lopmon's head is turning into a flurry of gold symbols like it's body had, rising up to the sky from within the horrible digimon's mouth. My stomach churns violently.

The momentary sensation of fear dawning on Lopmon moments before being caught between that creature's teeth continues to resonate within my mind, originally numbed by my initial shock.

I think I'm going to vomit.

Lopmon mentioned that a digimon's life is cyclical... But I know what I felt. Just because a digimon can come back after death doesn't exempt it from feeling pain. It still hurts it. It scared Lopmon. Will Lopmon remember me after beginning it's cycle again? Or...

The partial half of Lopmon's glowing head rolls out of the monster's mouth, right beside the apple and bandage roll, making me scramble back even more shamefully. I want to hug Lopmon, who I can still feel emotions from even now. It's scared and it's obvious this is it's first time beginning it's life over. That much I can tell, yet I can't bring myself to cradle what's left of it in my arms, despite the kindness it showed me while it's body was still intact.