Prologue

I watched as we laid siege to Troy. My dad, though not technically my father, Menelaus was not pleased at Paris for stealing Helen. My upbringing is one of...much confusion.

Menelaus found me as but a babe and took me in and raised me. When I reached the age of ten, he sent me to Aegina to train with the Myrmidons. That is, after the first five years of training as a Spartan. I came home at fifteen, and my father decided to make me a general.

He knew I was a son of Poseidon, as my powers had already manifested themselves before I left to train in Aegina. Now, few could stand against me. Achilles was a good adversary. We would spar constantly in the five years we trained together. With his...invulnerability, he became fearless and pushed his limits.

We were quick to become friends. Now, I sit and watch as Odysseus' plan finally succeeded and we breached the gates of Troy. Yet...it was bittersweet. The numbers we lost in the ten year war is astounding. Achilles, my brother in all but blood, died at Paris' hand, which was guided by none other than Apollo!

Then there was Zoë. I had found warriors trying to take her to Agamemnon was a war prize. I had to step in to prevent it. He was none too pleased but there was little he could do about it when Achilles backed me up.

Later we both arranged to have his mother Thetis take her to Artemis so she would be safe. With a warning I gave the goddess for the other, I would come for Zoë, as I had fallen for her. Thetis smiled and said if Achilles and I survived this battle, we would be rewarded by her father. At this I was quite happy.

But now, Achilles was dead. With Troy being sacked, we would sail for home in less than a month. My father's health was failing rapidly with the news of Helen's death by her own hand. I could only hope he pulled through.