16: Play Pretend

I don't know what we're going to do.

There were too many footsteps to tell if someone was coming to the closet. Too many people now to leave. It felt smaller in here now, somehow. I didn't like it. It was too dark to be closed in, right up against me.

"Sang," Luke whispers. "You're shaking." I shut my eyes tightly. I don't remember how to stop. There's no light in here. I can hear the people in the hallways. Luke presses his hands on my face and brings his closer to mine until I can feel his breath.

"Try to look at me," he says quietly. "I can't," I whisper. "Yes you can. Let your eyes adjust. There's more light than you think." Trust that they know what they're doing. Slowly, I open my eyes. They adjust enough that first I can make out shadows, and then I can make out a few of his features. My phone starts to ring and we both freeze.

"Turn your phone off. All the way." "But what if-" "Do it," Luke says, quiet but demanding. I quickly pull it out and shut it completely off. Luke pulls his phone out and starts to text. "What are you-" "Shh. We're going to play a game." "Luke, this is serious we have to get out of here-" Luke slips his phone back in his pocket. "I know. I have a plan but you have to go along with it, okay? You have to play pretend with me." I pause for a moment but nod. I can play pretend.

"We have to pretend we're kissing and this is a dare. Can you do that?" My eyes widen and my cheeks redden. Pretend to kiss? Was this the only way? Shyly and reluctantly, I nod. Luke switches spots with me, grabbing hold of my arm with the bruise. "Luke," I whimper. He instantly stops and lets go, using my shoulders to move me instead. He positions me so I am against the back wall of the closet and slips his arms around me. I put my hands on his shoulders and he brings our heads together until or foreheads and our noses are touching.

"When we get out of here, you're going to tell me what happened." I nod and swallow. Luke tilts his head left, and then right, and I mimic him. Then he leans his head down and buries his face in my neck. The door swings open, revealing Dr. Green. My cheeks turn pink again and Luke unburied his face, turning and shielding me with his body.

"What are you two doing in here eh?" "It was a dare, sir," Luke explains. "Yeah, well get out. I'm taking you to the office." Luke moves out of my way a little and I see Dr. Green wink at me. We get out of the closet and I play along, hanging my head.

I realize that we are not really going to the office when we pass it and instead enter the nurse's office. I sit on one of the cots. "Okay?" Dr. Green asks. I nod. Luke leans over and says something to Dr. Green that makes him chuckle before walking over to me.

Luke's P.O.V.

"Tell me what happened," I say softly. Sang doesn't meet my eyes and shakes her head. "Doesn't matter. It's a bruise. Hurts to touch it, that's all." I frown and reach for her arm but she twists away. "Let me see it," I say, a little louder this time. "No. It's just a bruise," she argues. If it's just a bruise, why can't I see it? This must have something to do with her father. I know Kota and Nathan asked her about the accident last night and I know Dr. Green was there but we're still not sure what really happened. The only way we'll know is if she tells us.

I reach for her arm again and she moves it away. "Sang. I just want to see it, okay? I just want to see it." She brings her eyes to meet Dr. Green's, and then mine. Sang bites her lip but nods. "Okay. Don't touch it please." I nod and sigh in relief. She lets me take her arm and I gently roll up her sleeve.

All the relief I feel quickly leaves when I see the nasty green and purple bruise on her upper arm. It's big, but I can still tell that it's the shape of a hand. A hand print that I had seen before, on her cheek those very first days. I curse under my breath as Dr. Green stands up and moves closer to us to get a better look. He glances at me and I know what he wants to do.

He wants to touch it.

"Sang," he says gently. "I'm going to touch it okay?" Her had snaps back to look at us, ready to protest, but Dr. Green and I move quickly. I take her hands in my own, and Dr. Green brushes his fingertips over the bruise. Very gently he pushes a little harder. Sang's hands squeeze my own tightly and Dr. Green quickly stops and steps away. I stand up immediately, pulling her into my arms. "I'm sorry," I whisper. "I'm so so sorry."

Sang rests her head in my neck, the way I did earlier. It hurts me to think about how I just hurt her. It hurts me. "Just a bruise. Stupid," she murmurs. "I'm sorry," I say again. "You're fine, Luke. I forgive you please stop apologizing!" I stop instantly and just breathe. In, out. Breathe. We're okay.

"I'm hungry," Sang says, surprisingly loud. Me and Dr. Green laugh a little. "Would you like to eat here?" He asks. I smile, knowing that would be a better option right now. If the boys are in a lot of chaos (which they most likely are) it'd be better to eat here. She presses her finger to her lip and nods. "My bag is in Mr. Blackbourne's room, though. It has my lunch in it." Dr. Green holds up something from behind his desk and grins.

"He dropped it off after Luke texted us." Her eyebrows raise as she looks between me and Dr. Green before nodding, accepting it. "I guess we're all set then."