24: Everything I have left

So, my chapter deadline is coming up! Trying to fit in my chapters, and I've got one left to write. You guys are amazing and thanks so much for all the support. This chapter goes out to all of you. :)

Comment to receive the chance for a shout out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to the smell of bacon. And holy cheesecake is it a good smell. After last night, I think maybe this is what I need. A nice, bacon filled, breakfast. I don't bother changing and run my fingers through my hair quickly.

As I pass by my sister's open door, I pause and wrap my arms around myself, turning and heading down the stairs. The thought of our last night together is enough to turn me to sobs but I only let my eyes tear a little. North is standing at the bottom of the stairs, I assume about to go up to check on me. He frowns as he looks at me. I can imagine my teary eyes have bags underneath them. My face is probably a little pale.

"Hey, Sang Baby," he says, opening his arms for a hug. I gladly accept and he wraps his arms around me tightly but gently. I don't move, just lean against him and breathe his musky scent. "Miss out on some sleep last night?" I nod, sniffing a little to keep the tears in.

Kota walks over to the stairwell, and then North lets me go so that Kota can hug me too. Then there's a line of boys waiting at the stairwell. I laugh a little, smiling at them because I feel like a hot potato. From all the confused eyes, I figure that Kota hasn't told them yet.

We sit down somewhere to eat, all gathered in the kitchen. I sit on the floor because I like it there today. Luke and Nathan sit on the floor with me. I eat smiley face chocolate chip pancakes, and bacon, as Kota explains what happened last night. I try not cry, putting my dish away and heading back upstairs to pick an outfit.

Mr. Blackbourne pulls me aside, looking...nervous? Why is he feeling emotion- and showing it to me? Is something going on?

"Ms. Sorenson...I'd like to speak with you for a moment. Is that all right?"

I raise my eyebrows and nod. He hides us to the couch where we sit. His posture is straight, unlike his face, though he tries to mask it. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Later today, after dinner, we'd like to speak with you. Myself and the boys and you."

"All of you?"

He pushes up his glasses and nods. "Mr. Coleman is free today. He has just chosen to stray away."

"Okay." I say. "Like a family meeting?"

"Yes, I do suppose. I assume the boys have told you a bit about them?"

I nod this time. They had told me a couple of times when I'd asked what they were doing after school. I didn't understand entirely, because they weren't blood related. But I did understand maybe they felt like brothers to one another. "Ok. Here?"

"If possible, yes. Thank you."

"Of course. Is that all?"

He nods and I continue up the stairs. I pick out a blue short sleeve with criss cross straps in the top of the back, a knee length gray skirt, and white converse. I dig out my curler and my hairbrush.

My hair is so tangled.

I tug the brush through it which is doing absolutely nothing to detangle the knots. I groan, tears in my eyes. It freaking hurts. All of my frustrations in my whole last two months come rushing back, and I snap my stupid brush in half on my dresser. My only hairbrush. "I hate you," I cry. I feel so stupid. Get a grip, Sang, it's a hairbrush. Someone knocks on my bedroom door.

"Sang, you okay?" Luke asks.

No. I want to scream. I am not okay, and if I hadn't gotten mad at Meanie he could've been here to brush my hair, and then I wouldn't have broken my hairbrush or hurt my head or ...ugh. I wish he was here. Would he come if I asked?

I sniff. "Can you call Meanie? And ask him to come here fast? Like really fast? I need him." There's shuffling outside the door.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," I say. "Please, Luke. And tell him to bring a hairbrush."

It's not long after Luke calls, maybe twenty minutes, that there is another knock on my door. "Sang? It's Gabe." I stand behind the door as I unlock it, knowing full well I'm a mess. He steps in and closes the door behind him. He looks beautiful, with his crystal eyes that stare at mine. I pull him into a hug right away. "I'm sorry," he murmurs, hugging me tighter.

"It's okay," I whisper, but he shakes his head no.

"No it's not."

"I forgive you anyway," I say, looking into his eyes. His beautiful crystal eyes. He helps me brush out my hair and curl it, and I'm so happy we're friends again- that is, if we ever did stop.

It was after dinner that we had our meeting, gathered in my living room like we had been for the last few days. Everyone but Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green looked the slightest bit nervous, more or less, as I sat on the couch with my legs criss cross. They knew they had been holding back information, and we're now ready to tell me. As I leaned against Meanie he twirled my hair to release some of his energy.

They thought they were skating on thin ice, but they weren't really.

I knew that by their willingness to tell me, in such urgency and without any preparation, that they wanted to stick with me. If they want me around, I'm not going to deny them. It's just easier this way with less complications. Stronger trust. I would have given them probably another month before really pushing them, but the sooner the better.

The only thing I really worry about is what kind of things they are planning to tell me. What if it was "we do drugs and sleep around and are hanging off you" or "we're in a gang" or other crazy, unacceptable, uncalled for things. I mean, that's too the extremes, but everything about these boys had always been a little....off.

Mr. Blackbourne cleared his throat. "We have a lot of explaining to do, to say the least." His pushed up his glasses, straightened his tie, and smoothed out his shirt. Gabe frowned and I squeezed his hand in reassurance.

"Guys," I say softly. They look at me with wide eyes, even North, and I almost laugh. "You don't have to be afraid. If you're afraid I'm going to walk out, I'm not going to. First, because this is my house-" Gabe hits me on the head. "And second because I want to hear everything you have to say. Any way you say it. I know there are probably things you can't tell me and questions you can't answer, and I get that. Really, I do. And I'll get mad sometimes so forgive me. But I can't walk out on you if I tried.

"You guys are everything I have left, and I'm okay with that." I pause to laugh and wipe away a few tears.

"You guys are my family. No one walks away or is left behind. No one stands alone, no one hurts without comfort, no one is ever unloved or unwanted. I need you guys, and I always will. You're my family forever and I'll never give up on you. I swear on my life I will never walk away.

You are my family."

Everyone starts crying, but they are happy tears. Some cry a little and some cry a lot, and we all huddle into one big group hug. It is one of the best nights of my life, with my real family gathered here and happy.

Mr. Blackbourne holds me tightly. "I couldn't have said it better, Ms. Sorenson."

"Sang, please. And I'm sure you could've."

"Then call me Owen."