30: Christmas

One month later

I stared out at the snow through my living room windows. Everything sparkled with white and the pavement roads stood out boldly against the fresh powder. It was beautiful, the Christmas season. Today was Christmas eve and tomorrow would be Christmas day.

My mom would be released from hospital care the day after tomorrow. As far as I knew, my guardian rights haven't been switched, which meant that these were my last two days here. I feel so bad about being unhappy during these wonderful holidays.

I've managed to subdue it around the boys, but they do have an amazing ability to make me the happiest girl in the world. It's been wonderful with them especially since our Winter Break from school started last week. We've gone sledding, gift shopping, sleigh riding, and movie watching. It's been so much fun, and Andrew's been really nice and gentle. He's really trying to be a better man.

I got a call from Marie the other day, even, wishing me a merry Christmas. She said her new family was really great, they got her a puppy as an early Christmas gift, just like she'd always wanted.

I sniffed as I looked out the window. Everything was so perfect here. This was the life I wanted to live, not whatever my mom planned for us in California. My home was here. My heart was here. My family was here. I finally found the people that I was meant to be with and now I would have to leave them all behind.

The scent of moss and berries tickled my nose as Victor came and sat next to me. He turned me to face him and frowned. "What's wrong, Princess?"

"I'm going miss you so much. I'm gonna miss everybody!"

Victor frowned and wiped a tear off my cheek. "What do you mean?"

"When I leave you, I'm gonna miss you so much. How can you find your family and then leave them knowing that they were the perfect people for you? That they loved you and you loved them and that everything that was important to you wasn't with you anymore?" I began to sob and Victor pulled my into his arms, rocking me back and forth, whispering gentle "shh"s.

We sat like that for a little while until I drifted off to sleep.

"Cupcake, wake up," Luke said softly beside me. He brushed a couple of strands of hair away from my face. "Time to get up Sunshine."

I nodded, sleepily rubbing my eyes and stretching. He smiled at me, getting me to sit up and then chuckling. Then he held up a little chocolate that was shaped like Santa Claus and popped it into my mouth.

"Thanks Luke," I smiled.

He saluted me and then helped me up. "It's dinner time."

I nod. I didn't have much of an appetite for a dinner. Luke leads me downstairs to the table. My dad is back at the hospital so it's just me and the guys. Well, most of them anyway. Sean, Luke, Gabe, North, Victor, Nathan and Kota.

They put some lasagna on my plate along with some salad and garlic bread. I sat down with my fork, aye three bites, and was full. My stomach hurt and I pushed my food around on my plate.

"Excuse me," I mutter, mostly to myself and walk up to my room. I leave the door cracked open because one of the boys will probably come after me soon. They always do.

Sure enough, shortly after I had sat down there was a knock on the door. "Pookie?" Sean asked as he sat down next to me.

"Hmm?"

"You alright? You barely ate and you left the table."

"I'm fine. My stomach just hurts, that's all."

"You wouldn't be up here alone if it was just your stomach."

I didn't say anything after that and Sean pulled me into his lap and rocked me back and forth a little bit. It was soothing. I felt myself relax into Sean as he rocked us back and forth. Before I knew it, my stomach pain was gone but I was really tired.

"Get some sleep. Luke and Gabe will wake you up early tomorrow, no doubt." He chuckles. "Oh, when you see the way their face lights up you'll be done for."

I fall asleep again, into a dreamless but restless sleep. I smile as I wake up. Gabe is jumping on my bed. "Wake up trouble! It's CHRISTMAS! The sky is awake! Get up get up get up!"

Luke grinned and started jumping with him. I rolled my eyes and got out of bed. I put on skinny jeans and a white sparkly sweater. It was cute. I brushed my hair and then curled it, put on mascara and deemed myself ready.

They ran down the stairs in front of me and I laughed. I smiled as I walked into the living room and sat around the tree.

We had decorated the tree the week before in anticipation of Christmas. It was a real tree that I got to pick out with Andrew. We strung lights on, we strung silver garland on, and added ornaments. It was really pretty. Today there had been presents stacked under the tree, wrapped in shining silvers, golds, and other wrapping paper in the multitude.

The boys picked up their gifts and handed me mine. We just opened them when we felt like it but it was so much fun! You could tell that Mr. Blackbourne even felt like a kid again. I forgot just how fun Christmas was. I forgot about everything else too, it was just us in this room, happy and making memories.

When all the gifts were opened, Mr. Blackbourne called me over. I was a bit confused at first but all the boys had huge smiles on their faces. He placed one last gift in my hand. I tore back the paper to find a framed piece of paper. It said,

"By law, Sang Sorenson is under guardianship of Owen Blackbourne"

I hugged it to my chest and started to cry. "Thank you so much!" I manage to get out before I'm attacked in a huge group hug.

Irish spring kisses my hair. "Welcome to the family, my darling."

......

The end <3
Thank you guys so much for all your love and support through this story. It really means a lot to me and I hope all of you will stick around for the sequel! It should be up sometime next week. Merry Christmas everybody (:
Questions? Comments? Message me (:
Love you guys sooooooooo much!
Until next time (: <3