25: Fire Eyes

Amazing. I've done it! With all your amazing support of course. Without it, none of this would have been possible. I really truly appreciate all the support. Every comment, vote, and read. :) This chapter is dedicated to -itskat- and MelissaHeartfilia. Thanks so much you guys are fantastic! Enjoy!

[Expect an a/n soon ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The very last day of our holiday weekend, we all gather in my backyard. It's a beautiful, bright day, with clear skies and gentle breezes. I think how light blue is Luke's favorite color, the color of the sky and the color of his laugh. Then I think of his best friend Gabe, who I patched things up with yesterday. Who cried into my shoulder almost the whole night of their explanations. I know there are things left they can't tell me, but I don't care so much. I trust them and of all else I'm letting go.

I lay down on my back, my arms and legs stretched out into the grass. I've always liked the way it tickles my skin, giving off the impression that it's soft. I think how hunter green is Kota's favorite color, kind of like my grass. I think of all the beautiful boys I've befriended, somehow.

My wonderful family, my protectors, my caretakers, my lifelines, my hope, my light and my best friends. Always there for me to laugh and to cry, to hold and to nudge, to encourage and champion and everything. Anything they can do for me, I know they will. They will try.

Isn't it beautiful, that when everything seems to be falling apart, it's not. It's really only falling into place. And all my silent prayers are answered when a blonde headed boy named Lucian scoots me off a bench. What a funny way it is, that when the universe gave me someone, it was in such a weird way. Unimaginable to say the least.

All my knights in shining armor were really only knights in expensive polos. I giggle, thinking about that. In polos of all the colors of their choice, seated upon all varieties of vehicles, doth nine men come to me with amazing talent and personality. To pick up what has been broken and scattered, and to rescue the princess that is lost and alone. They cometh into battle with strength and courage and battle all my dragons.

Fairytale much?

It feels as if I'm only dreaming, and one day I will wake once again to the nightmare I knew not so long ago. Was it not only a few months ago that my step father was hitting us, and Marie was vacant and annoying, and my Mother a walking shadow? Wasn't I just an outline of a nobody, ready to give in. Ready to cave and run away, ready to curl up and die alone and in shame.

Now I regret those fleeting moments I wished my body would get the worst halve of Andrew's drunken rage. Those days I wished to fall asleep and never wake up. Now I have the boys to help me chase away my demons. I can help them chase their demons, too, if they let me. If they let me in closer.

I breathe out a sigh as Victor's head leans over mine, blocking my view of the sky. "Hi Princess," he smiles. I laugh, my mind drifting to my fairytale like the clouds above me.

"Hi Victor."

I reach out and smooth my fingers over his medallion that hangs from his neck, careful not to pull. It's beautiful. I don't know what it means, but it sparkles and is soft to the touch. The engravings bump under my fingers and I trace the foreign markings.

"Can I hear you play?" I ask absent mindedly. His eyes ghost over my face as he reaches up to push his hair back. It falls down again and I smile.

"Maybe."

"You do play don't you?" He nods. "I'm sure it's beautiful. Nothing short of it."

"You flatter me," he laughs, his baritone voice vibrating.

"You amaze me."

He smiles as he looks at me, his fire eyes lit with passion. "I'll play for you. Just for you, today Princess. But you have to sing with me."

I shrug. "Okay. But don't expect anything too special."

"Sang Baby," North cuts in. "Come here."

I laugh and get up, laying down next to him. He points at the sky. "You can see the moon today."

I poke his side. "Okay, North Star. You know what else you can see?"

He raises an eyebrow and I point to the sun. North laughs and tries to tickle me, but I roll away into Nathan. "Hello," I laugh. He doesn't say anything, just ruffles my hair a little and throws an arm around my shoulder.

After awhile, Victor takes me to his house (or rather his mansion). I take a moment to explain to him that I don't care for his money, I care for him. He sits at the piano and begins to play, all of us gathered around in chairs but me. Victor lets me sit on the piano and I grin like a kid on Christmas.

I hear the opening chords for a beautiful song, Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley. Victor's fingers dance against the keys, beautiful and elegant. I can hear Victor's soul in the music and we start to sing.

"Wise men say only fools rush in.
But I can't help falling in love with you.

Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?
If I can't help falling in love with you."

As we continue to sing, all of our ten voices blend together and I lose myself in the music. Victor's graceful serenade of piano matches perfectly with our voices. Our harmony flows like water, sometimes cracking in emotion that is smoothed over in the music. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Victor quiets his playing as we reach the last line, all the voices cutting out but our duet. We lock eyes, his fire burning with passion. They ignite with his flame, his soul. I get lost in his fire eyes because I can see him. Really see him.

"I can't help falling in love with you."

Victor plays the last chord and then stands, closing the short distance in a blur of color. His hands my waist as he pulls me down, spinning us in circles to the floor. I hold tightly to him. All the boys clap and I smile until my cheeks hurt.

For I can't help falling in love with you.