twenty one

"You gotta stay who you are. Not who you were."

***

***

After breakfast, everyone was piling outside into the warm weather. I was pushing Judith in the stroller, and Carl was beside me. Carl and I were called over by an old couple sitting on their front porch.

"Good afternoon," I smiled at them.

"Hello," the man smiled back.

"I'm Natalie Miller; this is my husband Bob," Natalie introduced.

"I'm Skylar, this is my boyfriend Carl, and this is-" Natalie cut me off.

"Your beautiful daughter!" She exclaimed and held Judith.

"Oh, this is my sister," Carl chuckled while his cheeks turned a crimson red.

I awkwardly smiled, and Carl held onto my hand.

***

"Really?" Carl whined.

"It'll be good, Carl, I promise."

I told Carl before just before knocking on the Anderson's door. Rick had suggested (more like told) us to meet Ron, who lived near us. His mom was Jessie, and if he was anything like her, I'm sure we would get along just fine.

Ron was now giving us the tour of his neatly decorated home he shared with his brother and parents.

"We're almost always here after school, so you can come by anytime," Ron explained to us.

"School?" I asked, completely shocked.

"Well, it's in a garage. Little kids go in the morning. We go later on," he said.

I nodded, and we stopped in a room. A girl sat on the bed reading a comic book, and a boy sat in front of a tv, playing video games.

"Guys, this is Carl and Skylar. That's Mikey and Enid," Ron introduced.

"Hey guys," I greeted, smiling.

"Enid's from outside too. She just came eight months ago," Ron explained.

"Is this yours?" Carl asked while pulling out the comic book we found in our new house.

"Oh, sorry, we didn't know you got that house," Ron apologized.

"We mostly just hang out there and listen to music," Mikey said.