forty

"No boy will ever make me feel the way you did. Even though you hurt me, you made me smile like an idiot. Even though you made me cry, you also made me the happiest girl in the universe. So thank you for those memories that will forever be with me."

***

***

"Enid. I'm going back to Alexandria," I sighed and looked at her.

She stopped what she was doing and looked at me.

"Oh-Okay. I understand. I'm staying here with Maggie, though," she sadly smiled.

"I need to know if Carl got back. I need to check on Judith," I explained.

She nodded and pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'll see you," she whispered.

I nodded and waved.

"Tell Maggie, I love her. I'll see her," I said over my shoulder.

Leaving the Hilltop, I strapped on my roller skates and skated home.

On my trek home, I only encountered a few walkers. Nothing major, I quickly killed them and arrived home without issues. I knocked on Olivia's door, and she opened it.

"Hey. Just wanted to check in. Oh, and before you ask, Enid's okay. She's at the Hilltop with Maggie," I smiled, and she opened the door for me, letting me in, nodding in relief.

"Is Carl here?" I asked and put my pack on the floor.

"No, the last time I saw him--"

She was interrupted by knocking at the door. She walked to the door and opened it, me by her side. There stood Negan. He invited himself in, Lucille swung over his shoulder. Then, standing behind him was Carl.

"Oh my god. You're okay," I breathed and wrapped my arms around him.

He hugged me back tightly.

"Wait--why is your bandage off?" I asked, pulling away from him.

"I--" before Carl was able to answer, Negan interrupted.

"Great, great, great, great, great! Sorry to ruin the moment here, but where's Rick?" Negan butted in.

I stood beside Carl, and Olivia stood, trembling in front of Negan.

"Where's Rick?" Negan asked again.

"Um, out scavenging for you," Olivia told him.

"Cool. I'll wait," Negan smirked.

I held in a sigh, knowing he'd be here for a while.

"Um, he went out pretty far. They might not be back today. We're running really low on everything. We're practically starving here," Olivia explained.

"Starving? You? By 'practically,' you mean 'not really,'" Negan said and pointed to Olivia's body.

He did not just say that. I was about to scream at him, but Carl slapped his hand over my mouth. Olivia started crying, and my face softened.

"Really? You people seriously don't have a sense of humour," Negan turned to us and chuckled.

Carl looked at him with the same hatred he always did, but I focused on Olivia.

"Excuse me. What's your name again?" Negan asked, now turning to the upset girl.

"Olivia," she snapped, turning to face him.

"Right. Olivia. I am sorry for having been so rude to you just now," Negan apologized, not sincere.

"And it looks like I'm gonna be here for a while, awaiting your fearless leader's return.
And if you'd like, I think it would be enjoyable to screw your brains out. I mean, if, you know, you're agreeable to it," he flirted, and I almost puked.

Olivia then slapped him across the face, and I held back a smile.

"I am about 50% more into you now. Just saying," Negan whispered.

"All right, well, I'm just gonna put my feet up and wait for my stuff to get here," he chuckled.

"Olivia, would you be a lamb and make us a little lemonade? Now, I know I left you all some of that good powdered stuff," Negan asked her.

I bit my lip, feeling bad for Olivia.

"Well, I'm supposed to be with--" Olivia tried to change his mind.

"Make it. Take your time. Make it good," Negan ordered her, causing Olivia to run out of the house.

"All right, kids! Take me on the grand tour."

***

We led Negan to Carl's room. Negan stood in bare feet on the carpet, wiggling his toes in the fabric. I looked to Carl with a "what the hell?" look.

Negan wandered downstairs and played with the faucet, marvelling at it. Then he wandered to the dartboard, landing a bullseye, earning looks from Carl and I. Negan walked to the last room.
Judith's nursery.

"How about this one?" Negan pointed to the toddler's room.

"It's nothing--" I tried to convince.

"Are you serious, kid?" Come on," he pressed and opened the door.

"Oh- oh my--" he sighed and chuckled.

Then the evilest man picked up the purest thing, and my heart pounded in my chest.

***

I sat on the railing of the front porch, feeling completely powerless. I couldn't do anything about the psychopath holding Judy. Carl eyed him angrily.

"Oh, this little girl is precious," Negan hummed.

An Alexandrian walked by, and Negan waved to him.

"Hey, neighbour. Why don't you come by later? We might grill out," Negan smiled.

He was acting like this was completely normal.

"Oh, I like it here. Mm-hmm. I might just have to stay here," the man smirked.

"You know, I was thinking about what you said earlier, Carl. Maybe it is stupid keeping you and your dad alive. I mean, why am I trying so hard? Maybe I should just bury you both down in one of those flower beds," Negan smiled, playing with Judith.

My breath hitched, and Carl's eye widened.

"Huh? And then I could just settle into the suburbs. What do you think about that?"