twenty four

"Some people only hate you because of the way other people love you."

***

***

I had a shower after the fire, trying to clear my head. Afterwards, I set off to Ron's house to see how he was doing. I knocked lightly on the door and waited for an answer.

"Come in," a faint voice said.

I opened the door and saw Sam curled into Jessie on the couch.

"Hey, how are you guys holding up?" I asked softly.

"Okay," Jessie said and smiled sadly, her eyes noticeably puffy from crying. Sam stayed silent, though.

"Is Ron home?" I asked.

"He just left."

I started to walk around Alexandria, looking for him. I spotted him from across the lake, and his eyes were set on something. I followed his gaze to see Enid quickly grab Carl's hand. When will I learn?

***

All of us stood in Deanna's house, conversing on what to do with the walkers in the quarry.

"My team...we saw it early on, back when we were on one of those first scouts, finding out what was around here. There was a camp at the bottom. The people, they must have blocked the exits with one of those trucks back when everything started to go bad. They didn't make it. They were all roamers. Maybe a dozen of them," Heath explained.

"No one's been back since?" Maggie asked.

"DC, every town worth scavenging are all in the other direction. And I never really felt like having a picnic next to the camp that ate itself," Heath confirmed.

"So all the while, the walkers have been drawn by the sound, and they're making more sound, and they're drawing more in," Michonne thought out loud.

"And here we are. Now what I'm proposing, I know it sounds risky, but walkers are already slipping through the exits. One of the trucks keeping the walkers in could go off the edge any day now. Maybe after one more hard rain. That exit sends them east—all of them. Right at us," Rick planned.

I just sat quietly, taking it all in. They're coming right for us, so we need to think fast.

"This isn't about if it gives; it's when. It's gonna happen. That's why we have to do this soon."

"This is-- I don't even have another word for it. This is terrifying. All of it. But it doesn't sound like there's any other way," Carol said.

"Maybe there is. I mean, couldn't we just build up the weak spots? I could draw up plans. I worked on the wall with Reg. Construction crew-- we can try and make it safe," Carter spoke up.