twenty six

"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."

***

***

Walkers. Walkers everywhere. The only sound was the growling. The only smell was the rotting flesh. The only taste was the dust that flew from the crumbled tower. The only sight was of the mangled walkers. The only feeling was fear.

Walkers kept pouring into the so-called "safe zone." Not anymore. I pulled my gun out and shot any beast that was too close.

"Everybody, get back!" Rick yelled over the moans of the dead.

I hastily followed Carl and Ron. We ran together until we met up with Rick, Deanna, Michonne, and Gabriel. I stabbed any and every walker that got close. Then we were surrounded. I panted and wiped the sweat off of my forehead, trying to catch my breath. They're closing in on us. Then gunshots were heard. It was from Jessie.

"Come on! I have Judith!" She yelled and ran towards her house, everyone following her with no questions asked.

She opened the door, and we all ran in, me being the last one behind everyone. Taking one last look at the sea of walkers, I closed and locked the door behind me. We are screwed. So fucking screwed.

Upstairs, everyone was scrambling. Judith was crying, Sam was terrified, Deanna was hurt, and I helplessly stood there. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. So much noise was coming from the house, which would attract even more walkers. Carl accidentally ran into me with a crying Judith. That snapped me out of my thoughts, and I looked into his eyes.

"Skylar. Please. You need to help," he begged, trying to soothe the wailing baby.

"Here I--I'll take her," I spoke in a whisper, and he handed me the fragile baby.

I bounced her on my hip and quietly sang to her. She eventually fell asleep, and I put her in her crib, praying she wouldn't cry again.

***

Deanna had been bitten.
When Michonne was tending to her leg, she found the bite. Deanna barely reacted, the only words out of her mouth being: "Well, shit."

Everyone was just upset.  We were all hopeless. At least I was. I was sitting on the couch, waiting for the walkers to break in. I stared at the door with a glazed look on my face. I was trying to accept my death. I've already accepted loss and encountered it, so why not prepare myself for my death?

Ron walked into the garage, followed by Carl. This won't be good. I knew they hadn't been on the best terms. As I was getting up to check on them, the lock clicked.