forty four

"Don't feel sorry for hurting, for tearing, for bruising the way you do. You're only human, darling."

***

***

"We have a deal!" Were the first words to come out of my mouth as I ran into Carl's room.

"What?" He seemed confused as to what I meant.

"So we ran into these trash people, and they said they would help us fight the Saviours if we got them guns," I breathlessly spoke.

"That's amazing," Carl spoke while smiling.

I nodded while smiling up at him and wrapped my arms around his neck. He kissed my forehead before his arms snaked around my waist, pulling me close to his chest. He momentarily pulled away from the hug, and something popped into his head.

"What are trash people?"

***

I walked with Tara, and we lightly chatted about anything we could think of. As we were in the middle of talking, Tara stopped by the infirmary to pick something up. As she walked out, I looked over to see what she had in her hand.

"It's for Rosita's cut," she said, noticing that I studied the objects she picked up.

I nodded, and we walked a little more until we met up with Rosita sitting on her front porch.

"Hey, I was just coming over to do that," Tara said as she noticed what Rosita was doing.

She looked up, and I smiled slightly at her as a greeting.

"Denise showed me how.
I'm done," Rosita replied as she finished stitching her cut.

At the mention of Denise, I knew it hurt Tara. She stared at Rosita for a minute, and I noticed how the atmosphere had changed. I gave Tara's hand a tight squeeze of reassurance.

"What?" Rosita spat, noticing that we were staring.

"Nothing," Tara and I said in unison.

"It's gonna work out," Tara reassured as she made her way to Rosita.

I leaned against the railing and listened.

"What-- What does that even mean, Tara?"

"It means we've got the numbers to fight now. We just need to find some guns and--" Tara began, but Rosita interrupted.

"Do you know where we could find that many guns today? This week? This year? No. You don't. I can't just wait. I don't know about you, but I can't," She spat.

"Jesus, Ro. I know you're mad. We all feel the same way. Stop acting like you're the only one who wants to do this," I said to the already angry woman.